MY LITTLE BOY HAS SPEECH IN SCHOOL ?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wvrobin
User

MY LITTLE BOY HAS SPEECH IN SCHOOL ?

Postby wvrobin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:51 pm

HELLO ,

MY LITTLE BOY IS IN THE 3RD GRADE IN PUBLIC SCHOOL. HE HAS BEEN IN SPEECH SINCE HEADSTART, IF I HOMESCHOOL HIM CAN HE STILL HAVE SPEECH THROUGH THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM? WE LIVE IN WV . THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME.

THANKS WV ROBIN
Last edited by wvrobin on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act states:

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:07 am

According to the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (20 U.S.C.1400 et seq.), the board of education must ensure that "all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated..." Some may view this as an invasion of privacy, and the states are still free to interpret what constitutes a private school and what doesn't, but from your viewpoint it's good news - there's a high likelihood that your son can still get special education help even if he's not enrolled in the public school system.

You will, however, still want to contact the board of education and find out whether West Virginia considers homeschools to be applicable under the terms of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Get their answer in writing, and contact Home School Legal Defense Association if there's any trouble.

wvrobin
User

ABOUT MY LITTLE BOY'S SPEECH

Postby wvrobin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 pm

Theodore

Good luck!

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 am

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 am

Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

Theodore

Is there a federal document that states homeschoolers are...

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:03 pm

The problem is that the phrase attending private schools can be interpreted to mean just private schools, or anyone not attending public school. Everything I've read says that this leaves the issue rather fuzzy, with the end result being that the states are free to interpret it however they wish. Most provide special ed services to homeschoolers, and all should provide special ed services to homeschoolers, but that doesn't mean they all do. The law needs a wording change.

If I'm wrong on this issue, however, is there a federal document of some sort you can refer us to? Something that specifically states homeschoolers are applicable under this law, in every state? It would be extremely helpful, as this is a big problem for many homeschoolers.

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:09 pm

I stand corrected. After doing further research, I see that it is not mandated by federal law. It is if children are in public schools. But not private/homeschool situations. As Theodore said, that is up to the individual state. I have lived and worked as a speech clinician in 4 states over the past 20 years and have always been in districts that provided services to private school students. In fact, here in Minnesota in my current district, public school special education personnel provide services within the private schools. That is where I am placed this year in fact...I work exclusively 3 days per week in a private school (although I am employed by the public school system). I wrongly assumed that all states provided services to private students. It has been that way in Virginia, Illinois and Minnesota. Sorry and good luck with your situation!
Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

wvrobin
User

THANKS!

Postby wvrobin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! AS I GO THRU WITH THIS PROCESS , I WILL POST TO UPDATE YOU ALL ON OUR SITUATION IN WV.

THANK YOU,
WV ROBIN

MOMMY OF NOAH 9 AND EMILEE 8 , WHO AS OF RIGHT NOW WILL BEGIN HS IN THE FALL WITH THE BEGINING OF A NEW SCHOOL YEAR.

kerlin
User

Postby kerlin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:34 pm

I realize this is an old post, but I just found this forum and wanted to include my two cents worth.

My son is supposed to receive speech therapy, he has for 9 years. It is in his IEP and the school district we are in does not have a speech therapist. Even though I homeschool my children, the school is still responsible for providing special services. They even provide lunch for my son, because his appointment time is during lunch time.

If the school is unable to provide the services needed, then a private speech professional of your choice can be contracted through the school district, and the school district has to provide transportation to a private therapist, if you want them to anyway.

If your state doesnt recognize homeschool as a private school, maybe you could buy a LLC. Create your own Private School right there at home. I know in my state (Oklahoma) the LLC is only $100 the first year, and the price goes down after that. The price varies from state to state.
Mommy of two

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Tue May 30, 2006 8:40 pm

It is so important as a parent that you know the law and be proactive. In my state their are free programs provided by the state for children as young as 2 years of age. At 3 years they are serviced by the public school district even though they are too young to attend.

wvrobin
User

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!!

Postby wvrobin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I AM HAPPY TO GET EVERYONES 2 CENTS WORTH . EVERY IDEA HELPS AND MAY COME IN HANDY, IT MAY EVEN BE THE WAY I END UP DOING THINGS. IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE OPTIONS AND A BACK UP PLAN.I HAVE SENT IN MY LETTER OF INTENT TO HS FOR THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YEAR. IT IS GOING TO BE A BUSY SUMMER GETTING EVERYTHING READY FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR. PRAY FOR ME AND I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW OUR SPEECH ED OUTCOME!

THANK YOU !

Quantamama
User

Speech Delayed son just finished 1st semester of Preschool

Postby Quantamama » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:10 am

Check out my blog, I write about parenting, gardening, philosophy and whatever else strikes my fancy :)

Welcome To Quantamama's World

Seeker
User

you can get free speech outside of public school

Postby Seeker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi I don't know where in WV you are, we are near Charleston. We fussed with the school system for over a year trying to get speech for our son, to no avail.
Then by the Grace of God we found out about the Scottish Rites Childhood Langauge Center.
My son has been there for 2 years, and they are wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about the center. Also, it is FREE for the families. It is paid for by the Scottish Rite masons, (like the Shriners have the orthopedic hospitals etc).
Like I said we attend in Charleston, but there are several in WV, in fact they are all over the country! Here are the listings for WV:

Lee O. Rockwell Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
Scottish Rite Temple
406 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301-1717
Telephone: (304) 342-7852
or (888) 228-7852
Fax: (304) 342-8901

Morgantown Childhood Language Center
1000 Stewartstown Road
Morgantown, WV 26505-3696
Telephone: (304) 599-0304

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
at Marshall University
400 Hal Greer Blvd.
Huntington, WV 25707
Telephone: (304) 696-3641

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders
Inquiries: A&A Scottish Rite
521 Lincoln Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25401-2429
Telephone: (304) 263-9532

Scottish Rite Clinic for Childhood Language Disorders (Planning Stage)
Cinderella Building
Williamson, WV 25661
Telephone: (304) 235-3577

also here is the link for any other interested parties to look up their state:
http://www.srmason-sj.org/web/cld-files/cldp.htm

The only bad news is that they have a waiting list, but being a homeschooler with a more flexible schedule might get you in pretty quick. We only waited 4 months.

hope this helps and keep us posted!
Angie

wonderful!
User

Special Needs Homeschooling & Federal Law "IDEA&quo

Postby wonderful! » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:45 pm

My situation is nearly the same. On researching the issue of special needs support I came across IDEA at HSLDA site. I haven't throughly reviewed IDEA, but on general overview it is unequivocal that support services are a requirement under Federal Law for special needs - disabilities.

The confusion occurs when school staff and administrators are unfamiliar with all the resources available and educational regulations. Therefore, as usual, it is contingent upon the parent to educate officials in such matters.

HSLDA is an excellent organization to join.

Link to IDEA site:

http://www.nichcy.org/idea.htm

Link to IDEA regulation:

http://www.nichcy.org/reauth/IDEA2004regulations.pdf

gillenkl
User

Postby gillenkl » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”