Homeschooling an ADHD 6yo with hyperactive 3yo

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

PB&Jmom
User

Homeschooling an ADHD 6yo with hyperactive 3yo

Postby PB&Jmom » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:35 am

Hi All,
I am currently homeschooling my 6 year old son with ADHD. I also have a hyperactive 3 year old son and am due with baby #3 in February. My oldest is very easily distracted and has difficulty focusing on school work with his little brother around. I have tried busy boxes, special toys, letting him “play school,” even technology, but nothing keeps the 3yo’s attention for more than a few minutes. Last year, I saved the work that needed the most focus for during little bro’s nap time. Now he has stopped napping. I can’t even seem to get routines established at this rate. I am so stressed about getting homeschool under control before the new baby comes! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

LdnErin
User

Re: Homeschooling an ADHD 6yo with hyperactive 3yo

Postby LdnErin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:53 pm

I'm curious how your situation developed. It might help whatever solution you did find at the end of the day.

Sorry I don't have much to contribute to your case.

Happy holidays!!! :D

admin
Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Cutting off screen use and sugar, and adding lots of exercise into his day, should have a big effect on the amount of hyperactivity. Research has shown that screen use (phones, computer, TV, electronic toys) literally causes kids to lose focus and become highly distractible. It also adds "bad energy," my own term for a feeling of restlessness that is hard to dispel even with lots of exercise.

Parents are seduced into giving their kids screens as babysitters, because they are such an easy distraction, but the price is paid later.

This article also might help:
https://www.home-school.com/Articles/010-herzog-hyperactive-hyperkinetic-add-adhd.php

Pok_Thompson
User

Postby Pok_Thompson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:16 am

Very interesting topic!

Chugaster
User

Postby Chugaster » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:17 am

One thing that really helped was creating a designated "learning zone" where distractions were minimized. We made it cozy and filled it with things that sparked her interest, like colorful posters or a comfy reading nook. It became her special place for focusing.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”