Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lunch Ideas Anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Lunch Ideas Anyone? Reply with quote

I am looking for some interesting, but not too time consuming nutritious lunch ideas for guys. I am surrounded by little boys, bigger boys, teenage boys, young men, and my husband who does not eat like I do. I am small and my nutritional needs are different. I don't eat all that strange, but I can be satisfied with almonds scattered on a salad, a peach, cup of yogurt, and a piece or two of dark chocolate. They would rather starve! Any ideas for lunches or different kinds of sandwiches? We are in a lunch rut.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunch Ideas Anyone? Reply with quote

Well, the most important ingredient is the bread. If you can cook a batch of that up every few days, it'll help a lot. Next is what to put on top of the bread. Fresh deli meat is good (I like turkey and/or roast beef myself), with just enough mayo added so the meat sticks to the bread, or you can make grilled cheese sandwiches, or mix up some chicken salad and spread that over the bread. Various egg sandwiches are a possibility too, and there's always garlic toast or french toast with something else on the side.

Yogurt is good, but not plain yogurt unless you're trying to make them lose weight. So is applesauce, and mosts sorts of fruit or fruit juice (though orange juice shouldn't be drunk regularly on an empty stomach, it's acidic). I'm also personally partial to deviled eggs, sausage, bacon, etc., though I'm not sure how healthy those are when eaten daily Smile

But to repeat myself, the most important ingredient is the bread. If you have to use store bread, it's best to toast it lightly first so it doesn't go all squishy when you bite into it. Home-made whole wheat bread is much better.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three boys that don't stop till bedtime. Lunch is almost on the run sometimes Smile We often have a smorgasborg (sp?) A pile of things. Carrots and ranch dressing, apples and peanut butter, crackers and cheese, graham crackers, pepperoni, tomatoes..... I'm sure you can think of a few things like this. The strange thing is, they eat more and better than if I made a PBJ, or grilled cheese.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the marketing. Studies have shown that people are more likely to buy if they have a choice, and I imagine the same goes for food as for products, especially if some of the items used to be hiding in the back of the refrigerator :
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I agree, the bread is very important! There are so many things you can do with bread. One thing you can make are Pizzawiches. These are open faced sandwiches. A Piece of bread, a slice of cheese and ketchup on top. Line up on a cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes. Some sides for this could be whole pickles, baby carrots or cauliflower with ranch dressing.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That made me think of fruit pizza. one tortilla, spread with peanut butter, and topped with fruit of your choice. sprinkled with sugar cane. yum yum!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pita bread pizzas- pita bread as your dough, pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, veggies and cheese or chopped ham, whatever toppings you like. If you don't want to use a sauce brush top of pita with olive oil. Bake in oven at 350F till cheese is melted.

Wraps- Lay a warm burrito sized tortilla on a plate (must be warm so it doesn't tear when folding) Put a Tablespoon of salad dressing and smooth it in a circle around the middle of the tortilla. Place veggies and meat on the tortilla and roll up. Good combinations, leftover chicken with mixed greens, almonds and Newman's own Asian vinegarette. Or mixed greens and black beans and a dallop of sour cream.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, our pita bread always ends up soggy, and soggy pita bread has a rather nasty taste - at least in my opinion.
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I got some good ideas from Menus4mom, for lunches. I also go to Allrecipes a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: