Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling against my husband's 'better judgement'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadriennel
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Homeschooling against my husband's 'better judgement' Reply with quote

I've been homeschooling my son (15) for two years because he was failing in school and the bullying was out of control.

Now I want to homeschool my daughter (10) also, because she is very susceptible to peer influence and I want to shape her world view.

Husband is allowing me to homeschool Rachel against his "better judgement." He worries that she will be lonely and unhappy. He says all girls her age act "that way." But she has gotten steadily better with her attitude over the summer, so I know it's influenced by who she hangs around with. There are several girls her age nearby (we live in the country) who are appropriate for her play with in the afternoons and weekends, so I don't think she'll be too lonely.

How can I reassure my husband that homeschooling is a better option for her as well as our son? He is not devout in his Christian walk so using that arguement won't work. He was basically left to raise himself by two alcoholic parents, and he thinks that children will turn out okay if you just leave them alone. He thinks public school is good enough, and that "good enough" is good enough for our children. I don't.

Thankfully he bends to most of my preferences in the area of parenting, so I can homeschool, even though it is not what he prefers.
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like hubby is in, dubious or not. So, set up a "trial period" of 1 year with him. Tell him you're willing to re-evaluate each year to see what's best. Also, plan with your daughter things to do socially, so hubby can see her blossom socially, with children her own age and people older and younger (set up something with the local seniors center, with a family of younger children, with a girl scout or heritage girls group, AWANA, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: