Have a child in Pre-k. Please help!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Have a child in Pre-k. Please help!

Postby tiarich » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:37 am

This is my first year homeschooling my son (1st grade). Now my family is taking my daughter out of daycare because they want me to homeschool her also. She just turned 3, so it's Pre-k time. The problem is I have no clue what to teach a 3 y.o. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me :cry: . Is there even a cirriculum out there for a Pre-K child?

Re: Have a child in Pre-k. Please help!

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Check the Preschool area, there's lots of posts discussing this. Bottom line, you don't need a curriculum - just cover letters and numbers and do lots of fun, creative things. You can move directly on from there to phonics and kindergarten.

Postby Lorren » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 pm

My dd learned her letters, numbers, and colors when she was 2... she learned those at home and at day care.

About 4 or 5 months after she turned 3, I bought a couple of workbooks for her. They were preschool type workbooks that I got at Costco. One book started off with letter writing practice and moved into basic phonics, another book was readiness type activities like dot-to-dots, opposites, sequencing, etc.

We've been doing those workbooks ever since, two pages a day on non-Kindercare days. She likes doing them (not all children will). It's amazing the stuff she has picked up from these books, and she has fun doing it.

I think I might have spent $20 for the whole package of workbooks (the two main workbooks were over 300 pages each), and we're still using them... although we're moving on to a regular curriculum next week, so I guess I'll schedule the workbook pages when there's not much else going on or let her do some of the pages independently for fun.

If your child likes doing stuff like that, workbooks can be fun. It's not for everyone though. My nephew is more of a kinesthetic learner and wouldn't want to sit and do seatwork.

We also buy learning software for dd. We like Jumpstart, Reader Rabbit, Arthur's Kindergarten (now she does Arthur's First Grade), and Studydog. The computer store has learning software from toddler age to school age. Learning software isn't for everyone either... if your child doesn't like to sit then they might not like it, but my dd likes it and we let her play these games on the computer for fun.

Postby tiarich » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the Preschool forum. I will take a trip to Sams Club and see if I can find some workbooks. wish me luck :lol:

Postby Ramona » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:17 pm

A couple of things that I have found very important to do with my 6 kids at the pre-K age is read them stories (like fairy tales, Little Golden Books, Bible Stories, etc.) and play outdoors with them. They need fresh air, sunshine and exercise.

Postby Kitty » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:20 am

Try the DonnaYoung.org website for free homeschool ideas.
Greetings from the top of the Alleghenies!

Janet Tatman

Postby Janet Tatman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:03 pm

Both Alpha Omega and Abeka have preschool curriculum that I have used. The important thing is to let them learn through playing. The next best thing is to read, read, and read to them. Make use of your library and find illustrated books that actually teach.
Janet T.

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Read, Read, Read, Read, and More READING!

When she gets bored with seat work, PLAY LOTS OF GAMES!

Postby robinsegg » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Take a look at http://www.letteroftheweek.com It's a good start for teaching letters.

Other things you'll want to teach her over the next couple of years:
cutting with scissors
counting (to 10 or 20 should be fine)
following a line with a crayon (dot to dots, etc.) for pre-writing skills
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Return to “Getting Started”