Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Day in the Life of Next School Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkpierce95
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: A Day in the Life of Next School Year Reply with quote

I guess this post is sort of a "share info" post as well as an "I would welcome any input and advice" post! Smile I have 4 kids ages 6, 5, 4, and 1. Last year I really only had my Kindergartener "doing school," although the two middle ones love it too. This coming year I'll have a 1st grader, a K'er, and pre-K'er and a very mobile and mischievous baby! How do you juggle all of those? Here is the schedule I've set up for next year:

7:30-9:00– up, get dressed, breakfast
9:00-9:30 – Bible
9:30-10:00 – one-on-one with Jacob (my 4-year-old) - reading and coloring
10:00-10:15 – snack and reading time
10:15-11:00 – one-on-one with my 5-year-old - reading, math, etc.
11:00-11:45 – one-on-one with my 6-year-old
11:45-1:00 – lunch and clean-up
1:00-2:00 – Social Studies, Science or Spanish

I'm going to do a 4-day school week this year (with SS, Science or Spanish each with a day) as we often hang out with Dad on Fridays (he works from home) or travel with him one day a week. I also thought a free day would be good for me to plan, catch up on housework, or do Field Trips. I know to some of you it might look a little structured with such young ones, but they eat up this time, especially the time I spend one-on-one with each of them.

I need help, though, in juggling all 4 of them. I'd like to know what some of you do who have lots of kids, especially kids close in age. I'm sure I'll really need advice in about 3 years when my baby is ready for school as I will be I guess teaching her all her own curriculum. At least with my 3 so close in age, they can learn a lot of the same things in Science, SS, etc. Would welcome any advice you have! Razz

Thanks,
Kathleen
wendi.t.momof4
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: My advice; pray, obey, and enjoy your children Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi-
Wow! I have four kids, too but they're 7,8,11, and 14. This will be my first year homeschooling. But I take it from your schedule that you are a Christian. This is my suggestion-because as homeschoolers I think we compare, even just as moms of young kids-daily pray and ask the Lord to direct your day and follow His leading; be flexible with your schedule. This is a great schedule you have planned. It's just that you have many young children and it might be overwhelming. Just don't get discouraged on days you can't get everything done-and I'm preaching to myself. Before I had children I homeschooled a couple families, and I taught school for several years, and I've read a lot lately. If you haven't already read or checked it out of the library, get ahold of Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling; it's great.
It's nice to hear from another mom of 4; what a challenge, right? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: