Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I start yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hfencsak
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Should I start yet? Reply with quote

My background... I have two boys, 6 and 4, whom I'd like to hs this fall. My elder son just successfully completed public kinder and likes the "friends" aspect of school, and my younger is very bright and is begging me to start him in kindergarten at home, since he can't legally go for another year (Jan birthday). I really want to keep them both at home full time for various reasons, but I am also expecting my third boy in August. We live in Spain and don't have a homeschool support group local to the area.

My current situation is this... I have been trying to "practice" hs both boys during the summer to see if it would work out, but honestly I find that more times than not, we end up doing nothing I have planned (I am using an Usborne Ten Terrific Weeks program). Part of me says, "It's their summer, they should lounge and play when they want to," but the other half of me is arguing that I just don't have it in me to really pull this thing off. Yes, I am overwhelmed at all I have read between a dozen or so books, a handful of mags, websites, catalogs, etc. Yes, I am hot and as big as a barn right now, and really don't have motivation for much anyway. Yes, I am not getting really good sleep, but that isn't likely to change soon, is it?

My question is this... Should I really try to take this on at such a life-changing juncture, or wait for a more sane time of our lives? Is it too much to expect to be able to do it all, newborn and first time hsing? Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to any advice you might have.

:)have a great day,
heidi fencsak
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started homeschooling with an infant. It wasn't that hard. He would eat. sleep and lay there. Made it easy to teach around him. Now that he is a toddler it is a little harder, so we do a lot while he is napping. My advice is to take it one subject at a time. Start with something fun like science. Do one experiement a day, or do a little math, but just one thing a day, or one subject a week. Keep it simple, you can't expect the energy to do it all at once. It will be too overwhelming. Start small and it will be easier for the kids to adjust too. You can do it!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
hfencsak
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I love the sensible advice, and to know that someone else has already conquered this feat, well... it gives me much encouragement.
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am homeschooling two girls (1st gr and kindergarten) with a 2 year old sitting around with us. We also do alot while she naps. I have also found that sometimes if it doesn't go well during the day, we wait until my husband gets home and finish up our schoolwork in the evening when he can occupy our youngest. Just remember that you probably won't get through everything everyday. On the other hand, if your kids are anything like mine, there are some days where it just "clicks" and we get through more than I planned. For example, with history last Friday I planned on reading 3 pages out of our book about Christopher Columbus. After the 3 pages, they were begging to read more. We ended up reading almost the whole chapter. Just take everyday as it comes.

Also as a side note, it's okay to take a "Teacher Institute" day like we are doing today. They do it in public school so why can't we, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: