Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from Oregon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LK
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Hello from Oregon Reply with quote

Just joined. Should have long ago. I am praying that I can get help or advice here that I am just not finding where we live.
I started HSind our 13 year old last year. It was fun at first but now that hse is moving into harder, wel hard for me, Math we are struggleing.
I plan to start my 6 year old who is reading this year. And then there will be my youngest whose 4.
It was really fun at first. I think some of the trouble is that I have had to take a part time position to help pay bills. It's only weekends and one day a week but man it put's a damper on our schooling.
Given all of this I am not giving up. I belive God has his hand on Homeschooling parents and will help us through this.
Anyway, thanks for the vent. I just want to see them happy.
Talk to you all again soon.
Linda K
GraceRules
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the board! Where in Oregon are you? I'm across the Columbia in WA.

I hear your frustration in homeschooling. It's not always easy, but then nothing worth having comes easily. Just know that if God called you to homeschool, He will provide the strength, ability and materials. Pray for grace and then more grace, He will carry you through.

Concerning math, have you looked into getting Math U See? This program is very hands on and each lesson is taught with an instructor on CD who goes through the lesson. Then the child uses manipulatives until they are able to complete the lesson page. For upper level math, I think this would be perfect because the instruction is done for you with the CD. If you go to their website www.mathusee.com they will send you a free demo cd.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.
LK
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Laughing I am going to try some of the things you all suggested. Right now I am praying she will at least pass the State exam in Aug. I am REALLY nervous about that. Anyone know the web site I can go to to possibly get an idea of what she'll be up agiast? I guess she has to test at the 7th grade level even if she's just finishing 6th grade Math, which I think sucks.

Oh, I am in Lafayette outside McMinville AKA Hick Ville LOL
Linda
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Sample tests for Oregon: Reply with quote

I found this, which may help:
Oregon: Sample Tests
LK
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Going to check it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: