Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public school books?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Public school books? Reply with quote

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE BOE TODAY, IT JUST STATED THAT THEY HAD MY LETTER OF INTENT,MENTIONED WHEN AND WERE THEY WOULD OR COULD TEST THE CHILDREN ECT... ECT... IT ALSO MENTIONED THAT IF I WANTED TO BORROW THE SCHOOLS TEXTBOOKS ,TO GET INTO CONTACT WITH THE B.O.E. HOMESCHOOL COORDINATOR. I DIDN'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE AN AVAILABLE OPPTION TO ME OR NOT,I REALLY HADN'T DECIDED ON A CURRICULUM. I MUST ALSO SAY THAT CURRENTLY MY HUSBANDS HOURS AT WORK HAD RECENTLY BEEN CUT BACK. I HOPE THAT THIS CHANGES SOON ,BUT MONEY IS TIGHT CURRENTLY AND I DO NOT KNOW WHEN THIS MIGHT CHANGE. I GUESS I WAS JUST WONDERING IF OTHERS HAVE USED PUBLIC SCHOOL TEXTBOOKS, IF THEY DID WHAT IS THEIR OPINIONS AND THE PROS AND CONS OF USING THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CURRICULUM. I HAD THOUGHT THAT IF NOTHING ELSE IT MAY BE HANDY TO HAVE THEM FOR REFERENCE AND JUST TO SEE WHAT THE OTHER KIDS THEIR AGES ARE LEARNING! WHAT DO YA'LL THINK?
GraceRules
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the answer depends on why you are homeschoolign your child? What do you want your children to learn as a result of homeschooling? For example, I choose homeschooling because I want my children to have a strong moral foundation and compass. I want them to grow up living strong christian values. To know why these values are important and to defend these values. This can't be accomplished using public school text books.

So I would examine your motivation for homeschooling and see if it lines up with what's presented in public school textbooks. If it works for you then great - go for it.
Stefka
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GraceRules wrote:
This can't be accomplished using public school text books.

I would disagree........I also want my children to have a strong moral values and that is why I have had them in Christian schools up until this year. (I have 4 children) Last year I decided to that I did not want to work full time because it takes me away from the children too much. Alas, the pay cut doesn't allow for four private school tuitions.

We homeschooled the first few years of elementry and I liked a lot of the Christian texts that showed for instance how Christ was apart of our foundation. How religious belief was a strong in the lives of many important Americans. Now, however for middle school, this year my oldest wants to throw her self into Algebra and Ecology. (At this point in her life her great interest is water/river health.) I believe we have given her such a strong foundation in God that we now don't have to have it printed out on every page. Even for a subject like Science.......................she has heard all of her life from us, "look at the greatness of God, the perfection of the stars, the beauty of your body, the perfection in each heartbeat, the mircle of a baby's birth,God did this, life is so sweet, so perfectly designed for us, that each day we need to be
thankful again and again."

We have a rather large painting on wood, that was made before the children were born that says
"Trust in God, with all of your heart, never rely on what you think you know, place God FIRST in everything you do, and the right path will always be made open to you" Proverbs 3 5-6 (it hangs in the kitchen, above the table)

At this point, my husband and I feel, that she has her foundation, at this point, after spending years putting God into her heart, we know that the older children can handle learning from a text that doesn't remind them that God is the most important part of their lives, they know it!

So I think most public school texts on certain subjects would be fine for older students. (I just find many of them boring)

I did have a situation once where I found something in a text book that I did not agree with and we talked about. The disagreement was political and not religious in nature.
Sunshine
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I homeschool with public school curriculum and love it.

What used to take my child away from home for 6 1/2 hours (and then over an hour of homework) is now accomplished in 3 to 4 hours (period - no work left to do later), leaving plenty of time for us to add extra studies (biblical, art, etc. - whatever we want to explore).

When asked how we're "doing"? Rolling Eyes How would any student "do" with individual attention? Wonderfully!!! Very Happy

I don't believe that morals and ethics come from textbooks. Books provide information. Do we challenge or supplement that information? You bet!
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: public school texts Reply with quote

I used the schools materials last year. I agree that morals and bible knowledge can still be a priority. My daughter is still in contact with friends from her school, so it is good that they are learning similar curriculum, even though it is very evident that she is learning far more from individual instruction. This is clearly noticed in letters and such from the others.
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need the books, use them.

You can change your course materials later when finances allow.

keep in mind that there is much to be said for buying used curriculum
materials.

We were going with Abeka for most of our material, and for the most
part we could get everything but the tests second hand.
Those, we ordered straight from Abeka.

just a thought.

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: