Letter of Intent

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

renecoston
User

Letter of Intent

Postby renecoston » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:19 pm

I am trying to figure out exactly what I should include in the initial letter of intent I am going to be sending soon notifying my town's superintendant that I plan to homeschool my daughter beginning this fall. She has been attending public school here since Preschool and is now entering 3rd grade. I guess my question is do I or do I not include my plans for curriculum? I am really planning an eclectic mix of things because of my daughter's learning style and because we do not want the rigidity of boxed curriculum. Should I make a list of the items we intend to use, including our public library and field trip plans (we have quite a few ideas and are still building this list! My daughter is very much into doing instead of hearing about or reading about, though she is an avid reader!) or should I just wait to hear back from them on what they want? Are they even there in the summer, I wonder? Hmmmm......

I'll take any and all advice on this one! Thanks a bunch, everyone!
Bipolar disorder certainly affects mood, but it also affects cognition and the ability to perform mental tasks.
Some days we can out-think Stephen Hawking.
Other days we make Forrest Gump look like an intellectual.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:49 pm

I think it really depends on the law in MA. Some states require a lot of detail about your plans.
Good luck to you!!!

Theodore

The initial letter of intent doesn't have to include much...

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:17 pm

How to get started homeschooling in Massachusetts:
http://www.masshope.org/gettingstarted.html

Basically, the initial letter doesn't need to include much - just the names and ages of your children and a statement that you intend to homeschool them - but you'll also want to work up an education plan, which you can either include with your letter of intent, or mail later upon request by the superintendent. See the above page for details.

renecoston
User

Thank you!

Postby renecoston » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I appreciate the help!
Bipolar disorder certainly affects mood, but it also affects cognition and the ability to perform mental tasks.

Some days we can out-think Stephen Hawking.

Other days we make Forrest Gump look like an intellectual.

Tim
User

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:22 pm

I am from MA too, and I just sen them the names and ages of my kids and told them that I was going to homeschool them for the year of 200*. Then they sent me a letter telling me what I needed to do after that. It was pretty easy.
Chase your DREAMS without fear or hesitation!

Return to “Getting Started”