Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Convince That Homeschool Is Better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katleeo
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: How To Convince That Homeschool Is Better? Reply with quote

I am going through a stage that I want to be homeschooled. I've talked to my parents, and they kind of agree. They say maybe in high school, which is ok. But I want homeschool now. I might not even want it in high school. Who knows? So, I really want a way to show I'm serious. I've already told them all the facts & stuff, forwarded them some links to homeschool sites, and it doesn't seem like enough. I know not to push it, but I really want it. PLEASE say what to do!
tigersgrowl1093
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking into homeschooling and I am in high school now. As you said, you don't even know if you'll want it in high school. This is a serious decision that you cannot take lightly, I know I am not. You can't prove to your parents that you are serious if you aren't sure yourself.

Good luck on your decision!
jcollins
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Convince That Homeschool Is Better? Reply with quote

Katleeo wrote:
I am going through a stage that I want to be homeschooled. I've talked to my parents, and they kind of agree. They say maybe in high school, which is ok. But I want homeschool now. I might not even want it in high school. Who knows? So, I really want a way to show I'm serious. I've already told them all the facts & stuff, forwarded them some links to homeschool sites, and it doesn't seem like enough. I know not to push it, but I really want it. PLEASE say what to do!

Well, do you know any successful homeschoolers(or normal, well adjusted, successful, etc. people who were once homeschooled) you could introduce your parents to? Perhaps they would see it as a good thing.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you use the summer months and perhaps the days off from school to do some "homeschooling" at home. Pick a subject and study and research and do a report as a way to test yourself of what you learned about the study. Homeschooling is not playing around, Homeschool deals with self-learning much of the day, with time spent with the homeschool parent on subjects that may need assistance to master. if you don't have support from parents, homeschooling would be hard.

Make a list of pros and cons of homeschooling based on your needs and desires. Ask yourself How would homeschooling benefit me or not benefit me? Would I be able to motivate myself? Can I stay on task and get it all done without support or help?

Do both of your parents work? Is there funds/money for the books, and materials to homeschool myself. How much would it cost for me to learn at home? What kind of curriculum would I use? There is much to ask yourself.

Instead of sending links to your parents about homeschooling, sit down with them, share your heart, tell them why you want to learn at home. Start small, perhaps you can ask them to start with learning at home this summer and if they see your really learning alot at home, perhaps they will give one term or semester a try at home before they commit to a while year.

Go for it.
1to1tutor
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read "The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education", by Grace Llewellyn? That would be a great resource for you.
Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: