Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Schoolers in NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG83
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Home Schoolers in NY Reply with quote

Hi, I live in NY and I will be starting Home schooling my 4 and 6 year old this coming school year and I was just wondering how to get started? Plus I was wondering what other HS families in NY are doing and what works for them?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Home School Legal Defense Association's analysis of NY law.

NY law is kind of fussy, but people tend to make it more difficult than it is. I don't live in NY, but I have friends who do. Here are some things they have suggested (as well as the dates for filing the NOI and IHIP):

1. You file your initial Notice of Intent (NOI) by July 1.

2. You file your Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) by August 15.

3. Notice that the IHIP can be "Plan of instruction." This means you don't have to list all the textbooks or other materials that you're using. You can describe what you intend to do, using lots of words without being specific: teach the required subjects according to the children's abilities, using a variety of materials and methods, including but not limited to textbooks, community resources, multi-media.

4. You have to choose dates for your quarterly reports. Choose dates which don't coincide with major holidays such as Christmas. Smile

5. Your quarterly reports can be your IHIP, just reworded a bit: "Orkie has shown appropriate progress in [list subject]." You have to include the number of hours. Divide the required hours for the year by 4, and list each quarter's hours on that quarterly report.

My strong recommendation is that you join HSLDA, as they're the only ones who can give you actual legal advice. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
CG83
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. This actually does help cause I had heard about the laws for NY and I was getting kinda scared lol. And what do you mean Join the HSLAD? Do I need legal advise? Should I get some?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG83 wrote:
Thank you so much. This actually does help cause I had heard about the laws for NY and I was getting kinda scared lol. And what do you mean Join the HSLAD? Do I need legal advise? Should I get some?

Although homeschooling is "legal" in all 50 states, there are still situations where local school officials (and some other authorities) try to be too invasive, such as trying to require more of homeschoolers than the law requires. HSLDA provides help in those situations and others. I believe HSLDA membership is a good idea. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
CG83
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok. How do you become a member?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: