multiple languges any expierience

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Solwulo
User

multiple languges any expierience

Postby Solwulo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 pm

I have a babydaugther of 6 month and wanted to ask if any of you have expirience to rase children with more then 2 languages
what i am doing so far is that i just speak in my nativ tounge(swissgeman) and my wife in hers(spanish) and to stimulate the engish i sing and read some storys in english.
i also wanna create a base for other languages.

anyone has any tips?

FFkm
User

Re: multiple languges any expierience

Postby FFkm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Solwulo wrote:I have a babydaugther of 6 month and wanted to ask if any of you have expirience to rase children with more then 2 languages
what i am doing so far is that i just speak in my nativ tounge(swissgeman) and my wife in hers(spanish) and to stimulate the engish i sing and read some storys in english.
i also wanna create a base for other languages.

anyone has any tips?

My son is learning 3 languages (and I'm a linguist, as well). You're on the right track! Immersion is the most powerful technique to learning languages. By immersion, I mean using nothing but that language. Your daughter may be switching from one language to another, but as long as you always speak Swiss-German to her (and nothing else) and your wife always speaks Spanish (and nothing else), she is being immersed in those respective languages.

You can set aside a specific time/lesson for her English. Songs are particularly effective for little ones to pick up vocabulary! Also, if you live in the United States, she'll probably pick up English pretty easily. I suspect the same goes for Spanish. The most difficult, then, is the Swiss German -- so I would make it a point to speak that to her as much as possible.
Mother to a toddler;
Teacher to a 10-year-old
Cool Math

Return to “Getting Started”