Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single mom working 40 hours a week, will homeschooling work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginaforpeace
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Single mom working 40 hours a week, will homeschooling work Reply with quote

I have one daughter who is a 6th grader in a private school, and she keeps asking if she can be homeschooled for 7th and 8th, I'm kind of uncertain if it can be done for me since I work 40 hours and a single parent. I want to make sure she has a thorough education which I'm not sure I can give her. I see alot of programs online that I can do but I'm not sure if they will be affective, and I was thinking of hiring a tutor for math, writing, and reading to help with those subjects since they are the most important.

I just want to know if any of you have advice for me..

Thank you..
ginaforpeace
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: forgot to mention where I'm from Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I live in Maryland..Prince George's county
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling only requires 2-3 hours of study per day if you do it year-round, and most of that is self-study. If it's just a question of time, you can probably put in an hour per day grading homework and helping with one or two subjects, and your daughter will do fine.

As for study methods - online is a possibiity for some subjects such as writing, reading comprehension, but I'd personally not recommend online study for math, since math requires a lot of diagrams and formulas and I personally hate getting scored wrong if I don't put the answer in exactly the same format the computer was expecting. Computers are fine for early math drill, not so much when you get on towards algebra.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link to read about the homeschooling laws for Maryland.

http://hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=MD

This link should be helpful also.

http://www.mhea.com/

I have known single moms who homeschool their children and work full time. It can be done. Here are some links for you to check out. Best wishes.

http://singleparenthomeschool.christianhomeeducation.org/

http://www.homeschooloasis.com/art_single_mom_hs.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1Parent_hs/

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/112101.htm
mamom
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also work full time and am a single mom to a 3yo and I'm trying to decide if hs is right for her or even possible with my schedule.
she is in a great mothers day out program now but the school only goes through kindergarden. I would just like some advice from any single parent homeschoolers.

thanks
thewellmans06
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to quit working (worked part time) but I am a full time student with one year left of my BA, and next fall we are homeschooling our child (in Illinois) I'm sure there will be hard times but I agree if you are wanting to do it you will do just fine! Smile
Reiitaia
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had my parents really sit down and teach me. 99% of everything I know was self taught from a book. I do not think that it takes too many hours to homeschool your daughter if she is self motivated and you can trust her to study while you are gone.
janeho
User

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiitaia wrote:
I never had my parents really sit down and teach me. 99% of everything I know was self taught from a book. I do not think that it takes too many hours to homeschool your daughter if she is self motivated and you can trust her to study while you are gone.

Hi Reiitaia,

Same here. I learnt most of the topics on my own as well. Smile I am sure the child will do fine if she is able to be disciplined and revise her work consistently.

Regards,
Jane

Last edited by janeho on Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
jenrom
User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also new to homeschooling as well a full-time employee. Reading the forums gave me the sense that the most important thing is for the kids to have the drive and tools to learn on their own.
Bookmama
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginaforpeace -- Maybe I missed it. You said you work 40 hours a week. Is all of this from home, some of it? Is your daughter an only child?

If you homeschool to escape boring teaching methods, consider No-Work Spanish to learn Spanish
hsingscrapper
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked the homeschooling laws for Maryland but if this is allowed, it might work for you.

I read an article in The Old Schoolhouse some time ago about a mom who had to work outside the home and she had a son about that age. What she would do with him was assign his work and he would be home with a work-from-home dad who wasn't hands-on with the homeschooling but was on board with their son being homeschooled. Mom and son would discuss the day's work and she would explain any new concepts to her son and he'd have his work for the next day.

Is this something that might work for you?
luluxiu
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left with my one-year full-time BA students, the fall of next year, we educate our children at home, I'm sure there will be a difficult moment, but I agree, if you want to do what you will do well!
Macbetht
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'm against any kind of home schooling.. Think that your children do not get enough knowledge at school? then you can take tutors for extra hours but it's evident that people need society to communicate ant to get ready to the grown up world. And sitting at home won't solve the problem Exclamation

Last edited by Macbetht on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think homeschooling equates to sitting at home? If you homeschool year-round, you only need to spend maybe 2-3 hours on homework per day, the rest is entirely free for whatever you feel like doing. Keep in mind that sitting in class in public school isn't really socializing - the only good socialization in public school (assuming you fit in) is really recess and extracurriculars, and if you can boil 6-7 hours of classes down to 2-3 at home and then go straight to extracurriculars, why wouldn't you?

I was bored a lot of the time in many of the college courses I took. I can only imagine what public school would have been like, where the percentage of intelligent, motivated people is even lower. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the extracurriculars, but the classes would have driven me nuts.
Peg53
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Socialization?! Reply with quote

In response to post against homeschooling..............I just joined this forum, but I have to speak out. I am raising a 13 year old grandson who is going back into homeschool after the first of the year. I put him back in public school for this year because I work full time and was worried about his "socializing". This year, I have seen him go from a sensitive, caring, competent young boy to someone who is depressed all the time, rebellious, placed in detention (second time in 2 weeks), and overall very insecure. I have talked to him about his so-called friends at public school and he has explained that he does have some friends, but they are "bad news" (his words, not mine) and that he was told that in order to fit in with their group, he had to be "funny" and misbehave in class. I don't know about anyone else, but this is NOT the kind of socialization I want for my grandchild! If this what he gets from public school, I think I'll pass!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: