Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our first three days......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOMS
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Our first three days...... Reply with quote

Well, this is our 1st year homeschooling & today was day #3.......
My kids are 8, 5, 3 & 10 months.......
.....We only spend about 1/2 the time doing actual school work than when they were in school, is that normal? I'm so worried about not getting in enough, the right things, etc......all the "what if's" are just constantly running through my mind. But I just LOVE having my kids home all day & not missing out on their lives for the 8+ hrs a day they used to be gone.

I don't kno what I'm looking for, I guess I just needed to get that out???
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you are getting plenty of school work done. It doesn't take long to accomplish your studies when you are not in a classroom of 25-30 students. Think about this...............do you know how much time is wasted in the classroom of a traditional school? Trips to the bathroom, announcements, putting things away, passing out papers, behavior problems that have to be dealt with, lining up and walking down the hallways, etc. etc. Then there are the special times -- like holidays, spirit week, birthdays.............when there are parties, distractions, etc.

You don't have any of that in your home! It is quite normal to say that you only do actual school work for half of the time -- especially considering the ages of your children. When they are in high school, their studies will take longer, but right now, it shouldn't take long at all. My youngest son is 8 and he is done with his basic "check list" in a couple of hours or less.
nmartin03
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was homeschooled I had the same worry when I started 1st grade with my son and it was taking me 2 1/2 hours maybe 3 to finish all the school work, but as pointed out, you are teaching one on one with your kids instead of a classroom of 25-30 students, it's just something that takes a little time to get use to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: