Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shop/Home Maintenance Curriculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmaurine
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Shop/Home Maintenance Curriculum Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum, obviously. I am currently homeschooling my almost 15 yr old son, Aaron, who will be entering his sophmore year. We share a home with our in-laws and my father in law will be retiring this month. He has quite a few home repair/maintenance projects planned for this coming year, as well as just some tinkering with woodshop type things. My son has expressed an interest in learning some woodshop skills and I feel some other, general home/lawn care knowledge would be a great asset to him as he enters adulthood.

My FIL has offered to teach Aaron as he does his projects in the coming year. We would love to structure it enough to make it an elective for school. I am not opposed to creating my own curriculum, in general, but seeing as this is an area where I am not too familiar it would be a huge time saver if I could find some kind of text book/curriuculm plan already designed that they could follow, at least loosly, as they went along. It would also make recordkeeping simpler.

I have found workshop textbooks, and horticulture books cover some lawn care, and obviously pieces could be culled out of specialized repair books for things like minor plumbing, etc but I have yet to find anything that covers most of what they are wanting to do. Anyone know if such a thing exists? Other suggestions for making this simple and educational?

Thank you so much!

Kendra
aupton9355
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Work Shop/Home Maintenance Curriculum Reply with quote

Hi Kendra,

There is actually a few workshop/home maintenance curriculums out there that I know about that might be of some help. There is the Franklin Springs Line which are homeschool curriculum DVDs and the DVD is called, "Measure Once, Cut Twice." It is a DVD that teaches the basics of carpentry using kids in the video. You can find it here: http://www.nestlearning.com/measure-twice-cut-once_p136459.aspx. There is also the book called, "Kids Building Workshop: 15 Woodworking Projects for Kids and Parents to Build Together". You can find it here: http://www.nestlearning.com/kids-building-workshop_p173659.aspx#readmore. Hopefully these get you what you need. If not, there is a homeschool elective section that has many other types of home economics type curriculum that you can search through. http://www.nestlearning.com/home-economics_c1812.aspx

Good Luck! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: