Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First timer, curriculum feedback please?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanren
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

that's a good point about spatial manipulation and building activities. My daughter was a great builder when young, and her teacher said this prefigured math talent, which it did! However, without being prescriptive, I think one can certainly get boys interested in other kinds of "making" - especially in drawing. Roy Fletcher's book, Boy's Writing, which I highly recommend, makes an interesting connection between boys' love of drawing (especially comics) and their literacy skills. He suggests, for example, letting boys use comics as a way of brainstorming and outlining writiing projects. In general, I'd say just see what kinds of manipulative activities your son is drawn to, and build on those.
yingxuy
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never painted anything, not by the geometric shape represents very good. I can read high school or college level may be caused by age 7.
lisayvonne
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: First timer, curriculum feedback please? Reply with quote

WImami wrote:
Ok so this will be our first year homeschooling, last year we did public virtual with K12 and that went alright, but jumped around too much for my taste.

DS is 8, entering 3rd grade. He is a strong reader and cant seem to get enough of it. He is between a 6th and 7th grade level, depending on which test we use. His handwriting is seriously lacking though so I'd like to focus on that a lot this year. We have decided to go with a Classical education and I have already read TWTM and picked some stuff that I think will work. I'm just not sure if I have enough. I also would like to stay as secular as possible. Ok so, enough rambling, this is what I have. Opinions?

First language lessons 3
The complete writer 3
Spelling workout 3
HWT level 2 (repeat from last year) and level 3 if we get to it
various lit from the library
Lively Latin
Usborne internet linked-world history
History Odyssey-Early modern level 1
R.E.A.L. science-Life level 1
Usborne internet linked-science encyclopedia
MUS gamma
various math workbooks to keep a little variety

WOW! Your list is strong! Very Happy I have a helpful website beestar here. My child has been using it. I combines all the syllabus from all over... My child loves and supports it. She rather do 9 hours of beestar than watch 1 minute of t.v. I think it is a well-and easy used program. Hope beestar can make your list stronger.
Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: