Need ideas for notebooking "Language Arts/English"

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

doodlebird
User

Need ideas for notebooking "Language Arts/English"

Postby doodlebird » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:34 am

I'm moving away from most standard textbook-type curriculum so the kids can take more ownership of their learning, and would like to incorporate notebooking for most subjects. Next year, I will have a 3rd and a 6th grader, and I have lots of ideas for science, history, and geography. I have a few thoughts of what to include for Language Arts, but that subject seems a little more challenging.

I've thought of copywork that can be dissected for grammar rules, creating a word list from readings for vocabulary, writing 'book reviews' for books read, writing stories and poems, and author biographies.

It's easier to think in terms of creative writing and journals, but I'm specifically trying to figure out if it's possible to cover grammar and the more technical stuff. I'll also supplement with Easy Grammar pages.

Anyone use notebooking for Language Arts/English? Any ideas?

hsmommaof4
User

Postby hsmommaof4 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:33 am

Have you read the well trained mind? They have suggestions for keeping a LA notebook. What ages are your children? I can look it up and share what they recommend for that age here...

doodlebird
User

Postby doodlebird » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 am

Hi -

Thanks for the resource idea - I don't have that one. My girls will be 8 and 11 1/2 in the fall. :P

hsmommaof4
User

Postby hsmommaof4 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:56 pm

ok, I will look it up in the morning and let you know what it recommends!

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”