Schools of the ridiculous:

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Mom of 3 tow-headed girly-girls: L(4), I(2), F(3 months)

bruisin
User

Postby bruisin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 pm

I have held many things in my life & I have lost them all, but that which I have placed in God's hands I still retain.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Jo from Australia

MrBill
User

Re: Ridiculous

Postby MrBill » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:31 am

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I have a story to add...I heard it this weekend.

A relative of mine teaches 5th grade math & social studies. They just finished Ohio proficiency tests here. Her class scored lower than the national average. She talked to the 4th grade math & social studies teacher about it. From what I understand, the proficiency test a couple of years ago focused more on math than social studies, so the next year (last year) the 4th grade teacher taught mostly math and hardly touched on social studies at all. Then this year, for the same reason, the 5th grade math/social studies teacher (my relative) taught all or mostly math, without much or any social studies.

Guess what? This year's proficiency exam focused on social studies. And she doesn't get it--she doesn't see where she went wrong. She (and other teachers she talks about, as well as other teachers I know) teach to the test, specifically to the proficiencies. About a month or two before the proficiencies, they start cramming--trying to prepare their students for what they think will be on the exam, instead of just teaching math & social studies throughout the year, and letting the proficiency exam find out how much the student learned.

She is a big reason why I decided to homeschool.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 am

That is a shame. :?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Sounds like the root problem is the students weren't learning either subject properly, otherwise cramming wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. But a lot of people still look at this and try to do away with testing entirely - as if that will improve anything.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”