Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools of the ridiculous:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonfly183
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh me me I get to reply to this, waving my hand in the air, ha ha.

My son is a Genius, literally!!!! The public schools refuses to look at the documentation I have proving this, won't put him in gifted classes, and give him detetion when he corrects his teacher for teaching information that isn't correct!!!!!!!!!!!
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas Requires Cancer Vaccine for Girls
This will improve things big time - assume that girls are going to catch STDs and vaccinate them against it at age 11 or 12, rather than advocating abstinence. I hate to say it, but this sounds like government graft, and in Texas of all states!
Redhead
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
This will improve things big time - assume that girls are going to catch STDs and vaccinate them against it at age 11 or 12, rather than advocating abstinence. I hate to say it, but this sounds like government graft, and in Texas of all states!

Actually, I live in Texas and, having formerly taught in public and private schools, I can get behind this. School-age girls are at high risk of incest and date rape. At least a vaccine of this nature can protect them from having to pay even more for someone else's misconduct.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to see stats for rape and incest for young girls to see if we're mandating vaccination of all girls for the protection of a small percentage. I'm not saying that protecting all the girls we can isn't important, but public policy as of late seems to be aimed at covering an entire population for the protection of a few.

Not to mention that it puts a large amount of money into the pockets of a pharmaceutical company (one reeeling from Vioxx lawsuits and settlements, at that) for a vaccine whose long-term effects and efficacy have not been studied. Those stats are very different than the short term studies they're required to conduct and supply to the FDA for approval.

While the vaccine may sound good on the surface, there are too many unanswered questions and the situation of Merck lobbying to get state mandated vaccination requirements for a vaccine they hold the patent for is fishy, IMO. Adding to the fact that the majority of women who get HPV get rid of it on their own via their own immune systems.

(Didn't mean to start a political discussion here. I think this requirement is also ridiculous and stated my reasons for thinking that Smile )
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances of catching STD's through the former are miniscule, and the latter can be fairly easily avoided. Given that a small number of people have bad reactions to vaccination, and that any doctor visit involves a risk of infection, this is definitely something that should be left up to the parents, or the children when they reach adult age - not our all-powerful gov't. And that's just from the viewpoint of cost-benefit, never mind the whole religious issue.

There is a big difference between polio, which was a massive child-killer, and a cancer you might get from a STD you probably won't catch.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
He can stuff that order and light it on fire.
Redhead
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
I'd be interested to see stats for rape and incest for young girls to see if we're mandating vaccination of all girls for the protection of a small percentage. I'm not saying that protecting all the girls we can isn't important, but public policy as of late seems to be aimed at covering an entire population for the protection of a few.

The problem is, you will never have accurate stats for things like date rape. I've read in numerous journals that it is widely believed that most incidences never get reported. The girls are often too frightened or ashamed to speak up.

I'm simpy saying that, as a person who actually taught in the school system, I can see where there is at the very least a reason to seriously consider the vaccinations for girls who will be in a school system. Even at the small private school where I taught, we expelled a disturbing number of girls each year because it was discovered that they had been sexually promiscuous at parties--- and these were often middle school girls.

A visit to a teen message board can often be an eye opener as to how sadly promiscuous girls have become.

I will agree, however, that before it ever becomes a required mandate, much more research should be performed--- as it should with any vaccine of any kind before it's distributed.

At any rate, I'm happy to agree to disagree on whether a vaccine of such a type would be of value as part of a school system's requirements or not.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rape stats are horrible inaccurate, which is tragic because we never get a true picture of how bad the problem truly is - and I DO agree that it's a problem.

Here is where I think a difference in philosophy comes into play. Promiscuity puts you at HIGH risk for rape, but it's a risk that's well within a girl's control. There is a certain amount of responsibility for not putting yourself into risky situations as much as you can and 11 or 12 year old girls are capable of understanding that concept. There will always be situations you can't forsee and there are horrible peole in this world, but there is such a thing as lowering your risk to the best of your ability. I'm not saying promiscuious girls who are raped deserve it because nobody deserves that, but you gotta watch out for yourself because nobody else will. I don't think vaccinating all girls because some are promiscious is good public policy.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report Recommends Discipline Czar For Chaotic Philly Schools
The 47-page independent consulting report by Ellen Green-Ceisler said some frustrated school personnel have given up carrying out discipline.

The report said in some classrooms "little or no learning was actually occurring" and "many of the students in attendance were listening to headphones, sleeping, doodling or wandering around the room talking or shouting."

minniemouse24
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnetteR wrote:
One of my biggest beefs with the public school system is the outrageous list of supplies they request every year. I've always wondered why they feel a kindergartener or first grader needs pencils, color pencils, fat markers, skinny markers, dry erase markers, crayons, etc.

According to a pamphlet I downloaded from one of the local schools these items are needed to develop writing skills. I think it's an abuse. Now that parents bear the burden of buying all the school supplies (including paper plates, cups, napkins, and utensils) they think there is no limit to what they can claim as necessary.

How long will it before students are required to bring cellphones, personal organizers, and laptops to further develop their writing skills?

I'm in public school(8th grade) and sometimes what they put on the list you hardly ever use. Rolling Eyes

When I was in Kindergarten and like 2nd grade or so we used to have to bring dry erase markers and things that you mentioned and we NEVER used them.lol
Martha
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having the vaccine REQUIRED is where I disagree...if a parent or child think that it is necessary, then fine..their choice...but to require it...Just like for Kindergarten, you HAVE to have the chicken pox vaccine...it's a good thing mine wont be going to Kingergarten...I oppose that one too.

Anyway...and then on the list of supplies...Government keeps raising taxes for schools and such but it still doens't give them more class room expenses...so they've made their lists and expect parents to bring the stuff. What abotu parents that barely make it as it is. ugh...when I was in elementry...the only thing that we had to have were OUR own supplies and a box of kleenex. LOL.

I read the school lists for this year...they were not only saying markers and such but they were specific with brand names. Only white glue...only this, only that....part of the fun of the school year starting is picking out what cool school supplies you were going to get. I know it's cause they are putting the supplies into "buckets" so the kids wont have to have a crayon box to keep track of. Apparently it's too much responsibility now! Rolling Eyes ...ugh...off my soap box now! Laughing
Gypsy'sMom
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: School supplies Reply with quote

Here is a few new school supplies that had me scratching my head. My daughter's first year of school was last year. (Pre-K) I was so excited just thinking about sending her off to school to learn and be with kids her own age. What I read on the school supply list had me falling out of my chair!
Things like pencils, markers, folders...I didn't mind those. It was the part where each child HAS to bring light bulbs...and not just the small round one's that everyone uses in their homes, NO they want you to buy the long thin light bulbs, also things like printer ink cartridges (specific brand ofcourse), cleaning supplies, etc. My husband pays over $300.00 in taxes a week! Where is that going if I am having to provide what the school should buy themselves? Confused
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question, what exactly do they do if you don't send stuff that is obviously not for your child? Do they not allow your child in class until those items are brought? What's to stop a parent from going down the list: check, check, um, don't think so, check, check, not a chance?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably don't let your kid participate in activities that require those materials, since the school doesn't want to supply them and you didn't bring your own. It's just stupid, considering how much the public school system gets per child vs how much a good private school charges.
mdsmomct
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Ham sandwich hate crime Reply with quote

This cracked me up on Fox news this a.m.- they don't have it on their site but I found this thread on the subject:

http://www.americaoutloud.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1383
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: