Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efxmel
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Math Reply with quote

Math U See or Saxon. Which is better in both content and teachability?
Just wondering.
Mel
Relationships are all there is. Everything in the universe only exist b/c it is in relationship to everything else. Nothing exist in isolation. We have to stop pretending we are individuals that can go it alone. - Margaret Wheatley
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what style you want.

Math-U-See is different from Saxon.

For me Saxon is too much for my kids and we use CLE and mathbrain's website.

go to www.homeschoolreviews.com and read what people say about them and also see if the publisher has sample pages to view before you buy.
Mkat
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son (9th grader) hated Saxon, and found it to be boring and pretty frustrating and frankly, so did I.

Math U See is has really done amazingly well and for the first time in his life, doesn't hate math. In fact, he does it first most days! There are written instructions and instructions by you from the teacher book, a video where there is more visual and auditory learning, and manipulatives. I think it hits the various ways different kids learn in a better way.

He also really likes having the workbook to do problems in, they are clean and without fuss. Nothing distracting visually going on.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxon was very frustrating for my children. Many homeschoolers really love it but we don't.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxon is very repetitive, which is fine up through Algebra II or so, but perhaps not beyond that in my opinion.
dkocur
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't have very good luck with Math U See. I know others have, so sometimes it's just a matter of finding what works for you and your kiddos. I have no experience with Saxon math so I can't comment on that, but we're currently using Singapore math and are quite happy with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: