Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chartered online public schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogeregor
User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Chartered online public schools Reply with quote

any information, or interest in chartered on line public schools. i have a son in k12, 8th grade. It has the benefit of providing the material and tools, parent is more or less in charge, paid for by state. the downside is that they pick the circulium.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: chartered on line public schools Reply with quote

rogeregor wrote:
any information, or interest in chartered on line public schools. i have a son in k12, 8th grade. It has the benefit of providing the material and tools, parent is more or less in charge, paid for by state. the downside is that they pick the circulium.

Did you mean a charter school? There are many charter schools, some of which are campus-based, where children physically attend, and there are charter schools which are established specifically for homeschooled students. Some of the home-based charter schools allow parents to choose their own instructional materials, some provide materials like Calvert, and some are computer/Internet based and provide K12.

I am not a fan of home-basec charter schools. Children enrolled in them are legally public school students, not homeschooled students. They are subject to public school requirements, not homeschool laws. In that sense, they do not give parents the real freedom to choose their children's education.

Here's an article by HSLDA that you might find helpful.

Here's another article, by Chris Cardiff: "The Seduction of Homeschooling Families.

An article by Mary Schofield.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
WImami
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried a Virtual Charter last year using K12. The curriculum was okay but it just didn't work good enough for us. We wanted to spend more time on certain units and couldn't because we would fall behind in the over all progress. Also, it lacked greatly in field trips in our area and because we were enrolled we couldn't join some of the big home school groups in the area.
It really did push us to home school though, once I got a little taste of the freedom to do things on our own time schedule and how great the one on one learning was for my kiddo, I was sold. I do feel much more confident in our ability to go from public school to home schooling because of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: