Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to make sure I'm following law...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tleaves
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Want to make sure I'm following law... Reply with quote

My family and I just moved into a new district about a week ago. I know that according to Arkansas law I have 30 days of moving into a new district to get my paperwork filed. However, they haven't been in school b/c of the move. Will it end up causing problems? I know there's only a couple months left of school and I don't want to be turned down and then the kids be held back a grade. What do I need to do? Is this all something I need to be worried about? I just don't want to be held liable for the kids missing when I think i'm doing what the law says I can do.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying, but if you have taken some time off from school because of the move, that is okay. You are still homeschooling. I have been homeschooling for 10 years and we have moved many times. Each time we had to take time off. Of course you will get back to their studies as soon as you're settled, even if it means you have to finish up in the summer. I think you should go ahead and turn your letter in before the 30 days is up.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Want to make sure I'm following law... Reply with quote

tleaves wrote:
My family and I just moved into a new district about a week ago. I know that according to Arkansas law I have 30 days of moving into a new district to get my paperwork filed. However, they haven't been in school b/c of the move. Will it end up causing problems? I know there's only a couple months left of school and I don't want to be turned down and then the kids be held back a grade. What do I need to do? Is this all something I need to be worried about? I just don't want to be held liable for the kids missing when I think i'm doing what the law says I can do.

The law, as I read it, does not give the school board the authority to deny you the right to homeschool, regardless of how much or how little formal education has occurred--or not occurred--for any reason. The school board certainly has no authority to decide what grade level your children are in.

So, no, I don't think it's something you need to be worried about.

Read about Arkansas homeschool laws here.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: