Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Try a Food New to You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Try a Food New to You Reply with quote

The past 6 years, I've had to experiment with preparing foods without gluten. I've learned quite a bit about varieties of "flours" - some starches, some nuts and beans. As it turns out, my son is not gluten intolerant, but has a form of IBD. He prefers to eat very little starch and sugar, which makes him feel better and controls blood sugar and weight. I make muffins, cakes without the traditional wheat flour, but also I don't use any starchy flours. You have to be willing to try new things and expect some failures. Yesterday, I made a coconut cake, and it is delicious. He won't eat it because of the high sugar content. I made a low-sugar coconut cake for him and me. It is delicious, too.

No Starch Coconut Cake (well, just a little sugar)

1 1/4 cup almond meal* (fiber)
2/3 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut * (fiber)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour* (high fiber)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Splenda Add more if you think you need it, but wait until all is mixed.
2 Tablespoons cream of coconut ( not coconut milk Look for Coco Lopez or ? in Mexican section of grocery) (This is sweet and is 21 carbs for 2 tablespoons. If cake is cut into 8 sections, less than 3 gm sugar/slice. Pour into bowl and whisk. Do a search on this type of fat. You may be surprised.)

1 1/2 sticks softened butter
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/8 cup of water

Topping (if desired)
1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1 TB Splenda, some milk to be absorbed by coconut.

Preheat oven 325 degrees.
Grease pie pan, 8 or 9 inch cake pan.

Combine dry ingredients.
Cream butter and cream of coconut.
Beat eggs, extract, and water.
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and then add liquids.
Beat until smooth. Coconut flour absorbs liquid, so if the mixture is thick add a tablespoon of water at a time until the batter is thinner, but NOT runny, just not thick.
Pour into cake pan. Set the timer for 25 minutes. Check. Still liquid? Add another 5—10 minutes until the top is golden. Better to under-bake than over-bake cause the batter will still cook outside of the oven.
Let cool on rack.

If desired, make topping. Mix coconut, milk, and Splenda. Let set for 10 minutes. Spread thin over cake.

If the health food or grocery store does not sell these items, go to www.bobsredmill.com where you will find them.

The next time I bake this, I’m gonna try to find cream of coconut that is not sweetened and try Stevia in place of Splenda.

Regina

See the original recipe at http://apinchofhealth.com/forum/vbb/showthread.php?t=5718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: