curriculum for 8th grade?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Becqui
User

curriculum for 8th grade?

Postby Becqui » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:42 pm

I have decided to homeschool my daughter this fall and need advice on curriculum for an 8th grader who currently does not enjoy reading. Need something more hands on to keep it interesting and fun.

Theodore

Re: curriculum for 8th grade?

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:03 am

That's a tough one. By 8th grade you're starting to get into more advanced material, which by its nature is going to require at least a minimum of reading. My advice is to work on getting her to enjoy reading, not try to find a curriculum that can teach advanced subjects without reading. Though there are a few DVD series out there (such as Standard Deviants, which we've used for some subjects) which may help.

This may seem like an odd suggestion, but have you tried comic books? My youngest sisters could read at a basic level initially, but weren't really interested in doing so until introduced to comic books, from which they soon moved on to more advanced things like Narnia and Freddy the Pig, and now they love reading and read all sorts of things on their own.

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:47 pm

While my 8th grader loves to read, my 6th grader didn't at the beginning of this school year. I let him pick books for himself, which I later approved, and slowly over the past year, he has taken to reading. My husband and I are both readers, and J was the only one of my children who wasn't a reader. It was kind of wierd to be honest. He is now starting to pick up books I never dreamed he would like! Maybe take her to the library and let her browse until she finds something that interests her that you approve. It may surprise you and her both!

Becqui
User

Thanks

Postby Becqui » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:51 pm

Thanks, these are some great suggestions!

Return to “Getting Started”