Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for kids to read/critic a new novel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Jennings
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for kids to read/critic a new novel Reply with quote

I'm the Dad of two homeschooled teens and I'm working on a book for kids aged 11-15ish. I'd like to start getting some feedback from kids other than my own. Here's the blurb about the book:

Flying Sucks (working title): Bryan may be just 15, but he’s old enough to know his new ability to fly has to be kept completely secret if he doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life locked in a laboratory being prodded, poked, and probed (the Three P’s of abduction).

So when the creepy Mr. Smith discovers his secret and turns on the blackmail, Bryan doesn’t have any choice but to go along with the plans. Plans that include a multi-state crime wave where Bryan takes all the chances and Smith gets all the loot!

With Mr. Smith on one side and the FBI on the other, Bryan’s caught in a trap that will tear his whole family apart — unless he can carry out a scheme that will turn the tables on both Mr. Smith and the Feds.

If that sounds like the kind of story your kid might be interested in, I'd love to have them as reader/critics. The story itself might be rated PG-13 because of language and thematic elements, but my own kids are reading it so I have no intention of being "edgy" just for effect.

You can read the first two chapters here:
http://jawhye.com/flying-sucks/
...and if you want to read more you have to register, which is free (registration is just so the whole book isn't in public yet). If your child is under 13, please register for them.

I'm hoping to get about 100 kids reading this so I can get feedback on what they like and don't like.

Thanks!

Jay Jennings (aka J. A. Whye)

PS - Bryan, the main character in the story, is homeschooled, although it's only mentioned in passing, it doesn't figure prominently in the story at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: