General Queries

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

haonaue
User

General Queries

Postby haonaue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm

My older boy currently goes to a local (we're in Malaysia) playschool/kindergarten. We are researching homeschooling as an option and hope to get him started on a more 'Americanized' curriculum (and hopefully be able to continue with the homeschooling when we move back to the US at a later date). As I have zero experience in/knowledge of this, I was thinking of looking into something more structured/guided where I am assured of a lot of support and guidance - rather like the K-12 program (at least from what I understand of it). Can you recommend any similar programs that are available to families residing outside the US? Oh and he is rather slow academically. Is there a guideline on what a 5 year old would need to know (he'll be 5 in August)?

Also, is there an education board or something that we will need to 'apply to' or 'notify' if we wish to homeschool? Are there rules and regulations to follow? Would it differ according to state? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Return to “Getting Started”