Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just started homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Just started homeschool Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I've been homeschooling for a couple months now. I'm just trying all different curriculums. We're using lifepacs at the moment, and getting ready to buy math u see. And a little bit of A Beka. This is really hard. My 7 year old little boy is so far behind, I don't know where to begin. The school system has totally failed him. My goal is to have him on a beginning 3rd grade level by fall 2007. He can't even read small 3 letter words. He has adhd, but that really shouldn't excuse letting him get so far behind. I'm in a race to catch him up, and I keep buying the wrong thing. I'm not the homeschool type. I have no idea what I'm doing. He's actually a very smart boy. He scores really high on the cognitive testing. He just learns differently. Advice is always welcome.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just started homeschool Reply with quote

The first thing to do is find out if he's a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic-tactile learner. Children are often misdiagnosed as ADHD when they just aren't connecting with what they're being taught (especially the kinesthetic-tactile learners). An excellent book for this is Discover Your Child's Learning Style.

Then you'll want to make sure he has a good grounding in phonics before trying to advance him much further in other areas. Some phonics programs you can look at are Sing, Spell, Read and Write; Ball-Stick-Bird; Hooked on Phonics; and a wide variety of others.

In general, don't worry too much about his grade level at the moment. A lot of material is covered several times between first grade and the end of high school, and grade levels really don't mean much. The important thing is making sure that he can read, write, and do his math, which will give him the proper base for learning any other subject. Some children don't really start reading until quite a late age (7 isn't that bad), and are still years ahead by the end of high school.
judygray842
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply. I think he is a visual and or kinesthetic learner. That's why I'm looking at Math U See. But I haven't found any curriculum for the other subjects that works that way. Admittedly, lifepacs were a mistake. I bought them because they'd work great for me if I was the student. He does great in science no matter what curriculum I use. It's his strong point. I bought grade 1 hooked on phonics, and he's not even ready for that. I need to find curriculum for this fall for Language, Art, Music, Health, and Math. I already know I want Math U See, but it's not split into grade levels, and I'm not too sure where to start. I have a couple months, but it may take me that long to find just the right thing.
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Math U See Reply with quote

Judy,
I am beginning homeschooling with my two boys (ages 9 and 6 1/2; will be 7 by the time we start) I am going to use Math U See with my younger child because his learning style is similar to your child's. There are placement tests on the website so you can determine what level your child should start at. I am planning to use the Alpha level with my son. He can add and subtract, but he still uses his fingers. The test says that if the child does that, that more grounding is needed in basic facts. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Alisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: