Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New, bewildered and overwhelmed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommyluvsnoah
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: New, bewildered and overwhelmed Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I am new here obviously and have a feeling I will spend the next few days reading all the threads on this board. My DH and I are considering homeschooling our son next year. He is currently in first grade. We are just beginning our research so we can make an informed decision. I know that homeschooling has changed a lot and can be a rich educational and social experience but I have no idea where to begin or how to make that happen. Noah is an only child and he loves the social aspect of school. So this is a big conern for us since he doesn't have another child at home and all the other children we know will be in school during the day. So that will be one of the main areas I will be researching and probably asking about. We are lucky enough to live very close to a good library and a huge YMCA.

A little bit more about why we are considering this. We live in a school district that has failed to pass a levy for a couple of years now. It has even made the national news at this point. Class size has increased, all enrichment programs, extracurriculars, and advanced placement programs no longer exist. Even the school library and gym class are gone. My son's teacher has been upfront with me that he is ahead of the class in all areas, gifted in art and writing and that his needs are not being met in school. So we are supplementing with art class, music class and sports. However if we are doing that anyway then why have him spend all day in school not being challenged? That makes no sense to me.

We are also looking at private schooling but that would require a major lifestyle change in many ways and while we are perfectly willing to do that if we decide it is best for our son, I am just not sure that is the right answer. Home schooling seems like it would provide some freedom, relationship building and ability to cater to my son's individual educational style and needs and that all really appeals to me in many ways. And I think my son would thrive once he got over missing lunch and recess. lol.

Anyway, sorry for the incredibly long introduction. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. And thanks in advance for any advice or answers any of you provide me when I start pestering you with questions.

Have a great day!
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums... good luck with your decision! Very Happy
Njmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mommyluvsnoah! Glad you found us. You'll find tons of helpful threads and people here. Good luck to you and your family! Very Happy
Jill
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New, bewildered and overwhelmed Reply with quote

mommyluvsnoah wrote:
Home schooling seems like it would provide some freedom, relationship building and ability to cater to my son's individual educational style and needs and that all really appeals to me in many ways. And I think my son would thrive once he got over missing lunch and recess. lol.

I was in this place 5 years ago. We also considered private school. I was even willing to go back to work (I'm a teacher) at the school we chose. Finally, we realized that in any "school" setting, the kids would not get the "individual instruction" that is so beneficial. That's what really tipped the scales for us.

This board is so helpful, so when you have a question...ask away!
Best wishes!
hollyb
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: The direction? Reply with quote

Well, mommyluvsnoah, as we enter the school year, I'm wondering what path you've decided to take... Are you doing OK? Are you at peace about your direction with your little student?
In my prayers, holly
judyhanning
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will be able to find the right information you need here. Good luck!
kenneth_parker
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: welcome!!! Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will spend your days reading some article that can give you some information. And i hope i can find some forum that can help me to find a call center outsourcing company.thank!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: