Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjos
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think? Reply with quote

Ok, I have found several things that I am interested in finding out more information about for next year. Here are some of what I was thinking about trying. Do you think this combination would work ok? Too much work? Any input would be great. This is for a 1st grader, and it will be my first year of hs.

Abeka-Language
Abeka-History/Social Studies
Abeka-Bible
ETC-Reading/Phonics
MUS-Math
HWT-Handwriting
Not sure about Science??
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Curriculum so far for next year...what do you think? Reply with quote

sjos wrote:
Ok, I have found several things that I am interested in finding out more information about for next year. Here are some of what I was thinking about trying. Do you think this combination would work ok? Too much work? Any input would be great. This is for a 1st grader, and it will be my first year of hs.

Abeka-Language
Abeka-History/Social Studies
Abeka-Bible
ETC-Reading/Phonics
MUS-Math
HWT-Handwriting
Not sure about Science??

Welcome. Very Happy

Really, I'd drop ABeka Language and just go with ETC and HWT. I'd probably not use a textbook/workbook at all for history and science for such a young child. Field trips, library books, interesting DVDs/television programs (there are still some of those, if you have, say, PBS or National Geographic, or even the Travel Channel) are more than sufficient at that age.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
sjos
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I am looking at Science and Social Studies I think I will just do it on my own. I think I could make it more interesting than a workbook.

If I just did ETC and HWT would she get the grammar that she needs? And I guess I would just have to supplement with our own readers??
hollyb
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: curriculum for next year Reply with quote

sjos- Welcome to the homeschooling family! I'm in my 13th year and always excited to talk to new homeschoolers.

I agree with those who've assured you that the public school requirements will not be hard to fulfill. In general, it's best to erase the whole public school approach from your mind and start afresh with inspiring, thought-provoking, and enriching activities. At her age, your DD needs to experiment and experience to learn. I don't even touch grammar in the formal sense until about 4th grade. A love, longing, and appreciation for language starts in stories (and lots of 'em!) Handwriting sessions can be in workbooks sometimes, but also with a stick in the dirt or sculpy clay.

Play, play, play! Plan your playtime so that it's teaching skills and facts that you think DD should know this year.

Unless she has some learning disabilities, DD will NOT have problems meeting state standards. Set your own bar with DD's best in mind and the help of the Lord and you will be blown away at her development! Blessings!
hollyb
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: apologies Reply with quote

sjos Sincerest apologies for thinking DD was your daughter! Got yours mixed up with another post. Hope you understand my thoughts, regardless. Embarassed
pecangrove
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... I would do very little formal education at this age. I would focus of fun. Playing is educational for young children.
With my youngest son we did do some simple worksheets simply because he wanted to do "real school," but otherwise we played all sorts of games, make all sorts of arts and crafts, sang, 'played' music instruments, and stayed outside as long as the weather allowed.
There is plenty of time for lesson plans and school books... be as relaxed as your state allows and you'll be amazed at how your child will bloom.
Very Happy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjos wrote:
The more I am looking at Science and Social Studies I think I will just do it on my own. I think I could make it more interesting than a workbook.

good plan. Smile

Quote:
If I just did ETC and HWT would she get the grammar that she needs? And I guess I would just have to supplement with our own readers??

How much *grammar* do you think a 6yo "needs"? There are only 8 parts of speech and some thingummies like phrases and clauses. I'm pretty sure you can wait a couple of years (or more) to formally study grammar. Smile

As far as "readers," a good library is your best friend. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: