How mom can keep her own identity and still homeschool?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

How mom can keep her own identity and still homeschool?

Postby kkapfe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 pm

This is our fourth year homeschooling (3 girls, grades 4, 2, and K). My husband is concerned about me because I feel like I've lost my identity. I do get out of the house and I do have my own friends, but I need something to do where I can receive some sort of affirmation. Parenting is one of those things where mom really sees fruit about 20 years down the road when her kids are contributing members of society. I'm not a stay-at-home mom because I just love everything about s-a-h mothering. I'm here now because I've gotten used to it after it becoming financially mandatory 6 years ago. It's great, but I'm not domestic at heart. I love working in an office and seeing my completed work pile up in my outbox (very different from working all day cleaning the house just to have your kids follow behind you and mess it up again!). My husband has thought about me possible returning to work part-time just so that I can have something to do that is just "mine" and not related to our girls, or our church (we are very involved in ministry). Keeping my kids at home for their education is one of my main priorities but there has to be a way that compromises between them being home and me being sane!

So, I was wondering what some of you do to keep up your mental health and still enjoy homeschooling.

JerbysMom
User

Postby JerbysMom » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Well, I don't have any suggestions really, since I'm going through the same thing plus some. My problem is compounded by not having a vehicle to get out of the house during the day and I don't have any friends. I used to but, you know, people grow apart, and I'm terrible in social situations so I never made any new ones. I might suggest www.cafemom.com It's a social networking site that's JUST for moms and they have gobs of groups you can join. I've met a lot of really great mamas on there that almost make up for not having any real life friends. LOL My husband is on the path to opening his own tattoo shop, instead of working in someone else's, which will mean I could come man the counter for him sometimes and be out of the house, but that day seems so far away! I'm not really the domestic type either, but I do my best (which could be a LOT better!). Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to say... You're not alone!

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”