Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading & Phonics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aupton9355
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you have checked out Explode The Code Phonics System, but right now you can get it for 35% Off at http://www.nestlearning.com/explode-the-code_s665.aspx. It has been a Best Seller for over 30 years and teaches phonological awareness, decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and spelling.

Good Luck!
Jakk
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love the Explode the Code series! My daughter does the book version, then she does the ClickNkids online. I have All about Spelling but we have only used the phonogram cards so far. This year we will start with the full program, I didnt think she was ready for it last year.
christinelee
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Explode the code, online Reply with quote

Since, no one mentioned it, explode the code also has a online version that is great. In fact, I picked it over ClickNkids. If you like clicknkids, keep using it, but I think you will find etc, (I'm getting tired writing it out over and over again), online is much more comprehensive and still very fun.

Here is a link to get it the cheapest, https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order.... Here is a link to get it from the company, which you can get a school subscription which enables you to let all your kids use it for one price, but not at the same time. www.explodethecome.com
ron6684
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried My Baby Can Read? I heard it's pretty good.
lector1
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Alpha-Phonics is very much worth looking into Reply with quote

I taught my kids to read using Sam Blumenfeld's "Alpha Phonics". It is absolutely fool proof - it's entirely phonics - not "phonics based" as is the current trend in education. The education industrial complex realized about a decade or so ago that abandoning phonics caused reading problems. But they couldn't admit it, and they couldn't return to it completely, that would be too old school. So they came up with horrible, confusing methods that are a hybrid of phonics and failed methods like whole language.

The edition I had, some 20 years ago, had a lesson for teaching children their alphabet. (not sure if it's still in the current editions) It was a brilliant method. They do not memorize the alphabet in order, so they were able to recognize the letters in a stand-alone manner. My 2 yr. old daughter learned her alphabet while my 4 year old son learned to read.

My kids are both excellent readers and have excellent language skills.

I am a teacher, but anyone can teach reading using this method. Basically, if you can turn a page, you can teach your child to read. I think the book is only around 25 bucks. Well worth the investment.
KeriMomof2
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

We like Spelling City and Time4Learning. We ave used both so far for our daughter in 1st,2nd,3rd and now 4th grade and we have used it for pre-k and now kinder for our son.

HTH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: