first time homeschooling question

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

first time homeschooling question

Postby zacmom0606 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm

HI! I am planning on homeschooling my son, he is going to be 4 soon. I was wondering if I should send my letter of intent already or do I have to wait until he is suppose to start kinder? I live in NY. :D

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

(b) Notice of intention to instruct at home.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subdivision, parents or other persons in parental relation to a student of compulsory school attendance age shall annually provide written notice to the superintendent of schools of their school district of residence of their intention to educate their child at home by July 1st of each school year. The school year begins July 1st and ends June 30th for all purposes within this section. In the case of the City School District of the City of New York, the school district of residence for students who, if enrolled in the public schools, would attend elementary school, intermediate school or junior high school in a community school district, shall be deemed to be the community school district in which the parents reside.

Please look this up for yourself to be sure this is the most updated and current information of the laws in NY.

Postby mschickie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 pm

I am also in NY. You do not need to send a letter of intent until the year your son will turn 6 before Dec 1. So what ever year that is you will have to have your letter of intent in by July 1st since the state considers July 1 to be the start of a new school year. If you have any questions just let me know.

Return to “Homeschool Law”