Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Quite Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisdomsbane
User

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Not Quite Homeschooling Reply with quote

Hi. I have what I think is a unique situation. At the very least rare. My stepson has been having problems in school, mostly behavioral. His teachers and I sat down and discussed what to do next year, as he is very far behind in the basics, yet he seems to understand the harder, more abstract ideas. They decided that he needed to be sent to a special program in our area, that is connected to the school program, and offers children a way to learn what they will absolutely need in order to survive in the "real world".

I have noticed throughout the year that he has no trouble learning things at home with me, so I asked if it was possible for me to get help from the teachers he would have had academically next year, in finding resources and the like so that I can teach him the academics that are age appropriate. The problem is that I am nearing the end of the school year, and have not been contacted as to whether or not anyone can help me. I decided that maybe those who homeschool might be able to help me figure out what will be needed.

My husband and I had thought of homeschooling before we gained custody of my stepson two years ago, but in order to do that takes a "homeschool program" which are very expensive, unless you use one of the religious ones. Neither option is a good one for us we are not rich, and have three other children, and as to the religious programs, I feel academics and religion should be kept separate.

My stepson is 13 years old, and will be entering the seventh grade next year. It would be especially helpful, if we could find one who knows of the New York state Regents testing and can help us with what he will need for that.

He has ADHD, which we realize contributes to some of his problems in school, but he also has a one on one aide who is supposed to be there to deal with that aspect. He has had a hard life, and we understand that that is bound to lead to behavioral problems, but I have seen and heard of worse behavior problems in the school, yet these others aren't diagnosed with ADHD, and they are not sent into such programs. Despite all of this he is very bright, and understands some concepts which many adults have a hard time fully grasping.

This is something we have tried explaining to the teachers, however, egos seem to be getting in the way of any of them actually taking any interest in teaching him, so... we just decided that the best option would be to let them have their way in this and then to teach him the academics from home. Hopefully, this will set an example for those who are having the same problem with the local schools. And possibly get some reform in the teaching and staffing standards around here.

We are trying to do the best we can with what we have, and I have found a few things. Really what I need is basically just to know what sorts of things I will need, any helpful computer programs, any materials, and possibly where we may be able to find such things. Also any tips on how to work with his age group would be appreciated as well. I have never had to actually teach any full subject, and I know from experience that trying to teach someone, versus trying to tutor them, are two very different things.

Embarassed
I am terribly sorry if this sounds very confusing to you all. I am writing this at 1:00 am, and haven't been sleeping very well, because the infant is teething, and the whole family has been sick for the past week. I just need help, and need it before I start testing him. (I am going to be doing my own testing so that I know for myself where he is at, and can go from there. I am having a hard time trusting the testing from the school, because he has shown a ten point difference in his IQ testing in two different tests taken only about six months apart, both done by the school itself. )

This is all very daunting, and I thank anyone ahead of time who is willing to sacrifice their time to help me.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschool doesn't have to be expensive. I have three boys, 8, 6, and 15mos. I can't afford to buy much of anything. So after we decided to homschool, we found out how much they knew from school, (they went to school last year) And then we found out what was approprite for their level. They are both about in 1st grade. The math books are only about $5 and last half a year, or you can go on line and print out free worksheets that are at the level that he is at. ADHD children also work very well in a more relaxed program that lets them study the subjects that are of interest to them, like animal, computers, history, etc. Then you can have him write about it, a report or a song, in a way that is easy for him. Homeschooling offers a lot of flexibility and you should take advantage of that.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling doesn't take any kind of expensive "program." We get most of our materials form our local library. I don't know where you are, but in some areas there are charter schools which cater to homeschoolers. We get $400 per semester for school materials from our cahrter school. Why don't you Google "homeschooling support groups" for your area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: