I DON'T HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wvrobin
User

I DON'T HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE!

Postby wvrobin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:03 am

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT LEVELS OF EDUCATION DO SOME OF YOU OTHER HS HAVE? I READ 1 HS BOOK AND THAT MOTHER WHO HS I THINK 8 KIDS DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HER HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA UNTIL HER YOUNGEST CHILD GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL. I GUESS I JUST WANT TO KNOW , THEIR ARE OTHERS OUT THERE LIKE ME WHO ARE DOING IT WITHOUT ANY COLLEGE DEGREES? I KNOW THAT I HAVE POSTED MANY QUESTIONS . I AM SORRY ITS JUST THAT I HAVE HAD NO WAY OF FINDING ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS UNTIL NOW.

THANKS WV ROBIN

Theodore

There are a lot of homeschool parents without...

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:01 am

There are a lot of parents without college degrees (and probably some without high school diplomas as well) who are interested in homeschooling their children, and to answer all of you, a degree isn't an ironclad requirement. To teach a subject, you only have to keep one step ahead of your child(ren), and if you're simply unable to handle a particular subject (Calculus or lab science, for instance), online schools and the local community college are always open for business. And for the most part, your child should be able to handle things on his own after grade 3 or 4, since a proper basing in reading, writing, and mathematics allows anything to be learned fairly quickly. Just make sure he has that basing, and do your best to keep ahead of him in subjects he finds difficult.

If you read the Little House on the Prarie series, you'll find that Laura Ingalls Wilder got her teaching degree at age 15, and taught her students while studying one lesson ahead. This sort of thing is definitely not without precedent :P

(to answer your exact question, both my parents have Masters degrees)

Gina
User

Postby Gina » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 am

I have not yet begun homeschooling, but I will begin shortly.

I do not have a high school diploma (but not for lack of knowledge :wink: ), and I DO NOT feel that it will hinder my ability to homeschool. Afterall, I learned more outside of school than I ever learned in school.

Theodore

Some states do require that you have a high school diploma..

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:06 pm

Some states do require that you have a high school diploma or better to homeschool, or have someone supervising who has a teaching degree. Missouri isn't one of them, however, though I don't know if you're on our side of Kansas City or the Kansas side? I can look up the Kansas regulations if you're Kansas side.

Life2me
User

NO College needed!!!

Postby Life2me » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I have been homeschooling my oldest for 10 years with no college degree. My 16 year old homeschools music to her younger sisters with no high school degree, and my 8 year old, who hasnt finished 3rd grade teaches pre school to my 4 year old. :roll: Now let someone try to tell you that you need a college degree or even a highschool degree to home school. Its all in the heart and desire to do the best for your kids. :D

momo3boys
User

degree

Postby momo3boys » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:09 pm

I do have a college degree in Early childhood and while I think it is useful, it's not in the way I thought it would be. I use my old text books for fun ideas, but most of what I learned in school was just some common sense ways of teaching children,(I had a very good teacher) Most things that all good parents know already. I am glad I have a degree but I can certainly have gotten away without it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:35 pm

My mom only had three years of college - but she didn't have awesome grades.

I graduated with honors in 2003 and even did some graduate level work.

irishcatholic
User

Postby irishcatholic » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:17 pm

My mom doesn't have a college degree and she homeschooled 3 kids (myself included, of course ;) )

My siblings are doing well in college and I am doing honors level work at college, myself.

I think that with the right combination of determination, convinction, and a knowledge of resources, any parent can homeschool effectively!

Tiarali
User

Postby Tiarali » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:02 am

momo3boys
User

thank you

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:34 pm

thank you so much for that wonderful vote of confudence. from a U.S. standpoint i havee seen much of the same thing happening. we are getting away from the actually meat of teaching and focusing on making eeryone happy.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

That sounds a lot like communism, and we know how well...

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:27 pm

Trying to make everyone happy sounds a lot like communism, and we all know how well that works :) Everyone ends up equally miserable, and starving to boot.

Mom
User

Postby Mom » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:16 pm

As a certified teacher who taught in public schools for 5 years before staying home to homeschool my son, I can maybe shed some light on the college degree issue. The reason teachers need to spend so much time training is because they are learning to deal with teaching large classes. We learn how to teach to different students all at the same time, and practice class management techniques. These are issues you don't need to deal with when you homeschool (thank goodness!) As long as you understand the material or can learn it or have access to people who do understand it, you will be fine.

An often overloked resource for homeschoolers is the Webquest site. Webquests were created to encourage students to work together cooperatively in group projects, but they can be easily adapted to homeschoolers, especially since you are not hampered by time or curriculum restraints. They're also great if you have kids of different ages - often thy can work together. The site is http://webquest.org. Also, Discovery School has some great science units under Curriculum Center, as well as lesson plans ( http://www.school.discovery.com ). And try a teacher store - they have tons of good materials.

Good luck!

easyhomeschooling
User

Who needs a degree?

Postby easyhomeschooling » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

Revelator2212
User

Degrees?

Postby Revelator2212 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm

I am just now consdiering the homeschooling of my older son, but as the Communication Arts Department Chair of a good-sized high school, with a B.S.E. in English and a Masters in Learning and Instruction, let me say that teaching has NOTHING to do with what you learn as an undergrad or graduate student taking a class. It is all about experience, passion, loving your students, and wanting to help them learn and grow. The latter three aren't things that anyone else can help you with, and the first comes only with time.
I like Theodore's comment about Laura Ingalls Wilder. Granted, I am too passionate for things which are no more, but her story (which is based on her real life, of course) does indeed fully demonstrate that, as long as you're at least a step ahead of your students, an education does not education make.

wvrobin
User

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL COMMENTS!

Postby wvrobin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 am

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL COMMENTS AND I AM FEELING MUCH BETTER NOW THAN WHEN I FIRST ASKED THIS QUESTION. I HAVE ALREADY SENT IN MY LETTER OF INTENT FOR THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YEAR. I WILL BEGIN HS WITH THE START OF A NEW SCHOOL YEAR AND I AM EXCITED. I FINALLY HAVE THE CONCEPT THAT HS SCHOOLING ISN'T JUST SCHOOL AT HOME ,BUT IT IS LEARNING IN EVERYDAY LIFE AS WELL . I ALSO FEEL THAT IT WILL BE A GOOD WAY FOR ME TO RE-EDUCATE MYSELF AND THAT WE WILL LEARN TOGETHER!!!!!

Return to “Getting Started”