Starting Mid Year ( Now ) Where do I start with SOS ?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Roxanne2211
User

Starting Mid Year ( Now ) Where do I start with SOS ?

Postby Roxanne2211 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:53 pm

We will begin HS on the 4th when everyone goes back to school . I just loaded my 09 SOS curriculum and it looks great ! My question is .... how do I start this mid year ? I looked at the scope of each course and I would love for him to start from the beginning and get it all in , but cant see how that will happen and still have a "summer" like the rest of the kids ( I planned on HS using a calendar similar to our PS ) . I tried comparing what he has already learned compared to this program and its really very different . Where should we start ??

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 am

I think I'd still start at the beginning, even if it means continuing through the Summer... on a scaled down schedule. It could be considered enrichment and perhaps include only certain classes on certain days for limited time.

Another option is to take the entire Summer off and pick back up where he left off. The drawback here is that it would seem to put him "behind". I don't adhere to that model, though.

I don't know if I helped much. I'm fighting the flu and finding it difficult to concentrate. Remember: PSers oftentimes don't complete their entire text by the end of the year... they usually come pretty close, though.

Lorelei Sieja
User

Start at the Very Beginning

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:04 pm

It's a very good place to start!
Don't worry about the school-year calendar. It doesn't make any sense, scholastically! Summer vacation was originally intended to let children stay home to help work the family farm. If you don't live on a farm and the kids don't work on it, then taking three months off is just plain foolish. Kids forget so much over the summer. We are the only nation in the industrialized world to still take summer vacation. And it shows. High school graduates of other countries are beating the pants off our children.

One homeschool plan is to school five hours a day, six days a week, all year long, with a month off around Christmas and a month off in the summer. This plan works very well for a lot of people. I did this with my kids. Not at first - we did the school calendar, thinking that they'd be "free" to play when their public school friends were free. But after only a year, all their friends were also homeschooled. By schooling through the summer, I didn't have bored, restless kids to "amuse".

Good luck!
Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Return to “Getting Started”