Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new and need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtxmom
User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: new and need help Reply with quote

I have a two year old son and want to work with him over the next year with basic development, mainly physical, but would also like to start other things. Do you have any suggestions for a curr. that might be available for a two year old?

Also...I need to know how you handle the pressure from family. Our family is made up of nothing but school teachers (including myself...not anymore...I stay at home now). They constantly argue socializtion...socialization...socialization... I don't know how to handle this. I give them the "coined" response regarding socialization in a public school versus the home environment, but they don't seem to give up. I live in a small town and there doesn't appear to be anyone around that homeschools.

Have any of you ever gone through this? What did you do?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: new and need help Reply with quote

You can still do sports and extracurriculars at your local school if it allows that (call up and ask), and while there may not be a homeschool group in your area if you're in a small town, there are always other opportunities for socialization. For instance: Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, 4-H, martial arts, local swim team, academic groups / competitions, etc. Even if none of those are available, you still have several years to organize something yourself.

As for finding a curriculum, I personally wouldn't bother getting a curriculum this early. Just read to your son a lot, pointing out letters and numbers; work on his coordination by having him trace things with you and build things; and in general just do anything that will prepare him for basic reading, writing, and math. You won't need a curriculum until age 3+, at which point you'll want phonics and maybe a packaged kindergarten.

You may find this thread useful, and the Preschool Forum useful as well.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised how many people homeschool, even in small towns. I knew of one family when I started and within the next nine months I found at least 6 more, and I know now that there are even more than that. We have a GYM time in the local town hall on fridays, and at the playground when it's not raining. We are even putting a float in the local parade. Keep your eyes open and ask around I'm sure you can find someone to start something with.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
wtxmom
User

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for replying. I found those great games to play with my toddler and have taken him out and about to see new things. I hope I am as successful as you in finding other families in the area that homeschool. I found one and plan on contacting her. I like the idea of using the townhall for gym and we have a great park here to utilize.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: