Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling part time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melmel
User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling part time? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to this site (and new to all homeschooling websites actually). My daughter will be starting 1st grade in a private Christian school in MD next year. My extended family has just bought a farm 5 hours away and in the future I have thought about living there part time. Is it possible to enroll a child in private school part time and homeschool part time? I know that I would first have to get the school to agree to such a thing, but I was also interested in the legal aspects of it. She would be enrolled in the school but would not meet the state attendance requirements. I don't think I am ready to homeschool full time, and I love the school that she is in. Any advice? I have been searching this on the internet and haven't found many people who doing anything similar to this. Thanks so much for any replies,
Melissa
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschooling part time? Reply with quote

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=MD
Option 2 is to: Provide home instruction under the supervision of a church institution or school that complies with regulations.

Is it a church school? If it is, that makes things easy, since the regulations leave the choice of attendance and subjects up to the school, not the state. You're good to go as long as you can convince them to let you homeschool part-time.

If it's not a church school, things will get somewhat more complicated, but not overly much so. Your program must have "regular, thorough instruction" in certain subjects, and you have to keep a portfolio of work, but no qualifications are made as to where the instruction has to take place, and no specifics are given as to how many hours you have to put in yearly. Bottom line, you should have no problems counting school attendance as part of your homeschool program. Just to be safe though, you might want to join Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA).
Melmel
User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Thank you for your quick reply! Reply with quote

She is in a church school, so it is wonderful to hear that attendance is left up to the school. I suppose I now must work on planning a presentation for the school principal. Thank for the advice about HSLDA, I will look into it.
mjrgmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: homeschooling part time Reply with quote

Hi there-

I'm not sure about homeschooling part time, but I am wondering how to go about filing for a religious exemption as I feel religious conviction that my son should not attend public schools. Any advice on that?? Thanks Jean.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Religious exemption in VA: Reply with quote

This page should be helpful:
http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/guide/religious_exemption.asp

The school board may not judge your religious beliefs or whether you have always held them, and it doesn't matter whether other members of your faith hold the same beliefs. You must demonstrate, however, that the Supreme Being or deity directs your lifestyle, and you believe with conviction that to send your child to school would be against your Higher Power; because of your religious beliefs, you could not send your child to school.

Send notification of religious exemption materials to the school board. These documents may include a letter that describes the family's religious beliefs; letters from friends, relatives or members of the faith, that confirm your beliefs are sincere; scriptural or other spiritual quotations, if available; and a letter or affidavit from a religious leader, if the family has such an authority. It is often suggested that notification should be sent via certified mail, with a return receipt requested.

Individual school boards determine whether or not a family must testify. Be prepared, in case you are required to do this. Read and understand the law, and have your statements in order. You may wish to consult an attorney. It can help to join a statewide discussion list where you may ask questions of other Virginia homeschoolers who have filed for RE.

For more info see the page itself. It contains lots of useful info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: