Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamaof2
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: New to this! Reply with quote

First I would like to introduce myself! I am Tania, mommy to my 3.5 year old son J and 9 month old daughter C.
I am pretty sure I will be homeschooling my children but I have a few questions.
-Does anyone know of any umbrella school in NY? I am considering this route because dh is a skeptic. He is unsure whether or not hsing is the right option for our family. One of his concerns is the GED vs. diploma issue. So I think an umbrella school might help ease some of his doubts.
-Does anyone have any rec's on books to get started? I am already teaching my son but it's very informal right now since he is so young.
-What made you decide between religious based curriculum vs. secular based? We are catholic but I am not sure that I want a religious curriculum.
-Any other advice?
Thank you!
Splungeman
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! We're also new to homeschooling. We are looking at the quality of the teaching of the curriculum more than how religious it is. I have met a homeschooling family who used Bob Jones (I think) math, which is christian themed. They chose it because it had the best system of learning math for their family. It's really about what's the best fit for your children and for your family. The best thing I've learned so far about homeschooling (one of the best things anyway) is that you can adapt any of the curriculums out there to suit your needs.

We are probably going to go with Math Mammoth, ourselves. It's very drill-oriented. But our son loves to do problems (very simple ones at this point).

Since your kids are just starting out, for reading I suggest going to starfall.com and letting them play the reading games there. It actually actively teaches children how to read. Our kindergarten aged son has been using it for at least the last year and a half and is reading at a first-grade level. Of course, we supplement this with reading aloud to him and encouraging him to read things we encounter in the world (signs, cereal boxes, clothing labels, etc)

Anyway...good luck! I look forward to seeing you around the forum. We new people need to stick together!
Mamaof2
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your response! I bookmarked the website you suggested!
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am also in NY. As for the diploma issue vs GED, in NY even with an umbrella school you would not get a diploma recognized by the state. The recommended course of action for a NY homeschooler is to complete all the paper work (which you have to do any ways) and then request a letter of completion from your district's superintendent. The other option is to take 24 credits at a local community college and that is recognized as the equivalent of having your diploma. I really do not know of any homeschoolers in NY who go the GED route.

As for curriculum if you are Catholic I would not suggest looking at Bob Jones since some of there curriculum is a little negative towards Catholism(mainly in dealing with history). I would suggest looking at Horizons for Math(at least k-3) and then either Saxon, Math-u-see or Teaching textbooks. A good overall curriculum is Sonlight which is religious based but would fit well with Catholism (fyi I was raised Catholic so I watch for curriculums that are anti Catholic and tend to avoid or modify them as need be). I like Sonlight because it is literature based and they lay everything out for you.

Have you looked into Seton for your curriculum? I know alot of Catholics who use that.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about homeschooling in NY

Maureen
Mamaof2
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Maureen!

I have not yet decided which curriculum we will be using. There are so many options out there and it seems a little overwhelming. Embarassed
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your kids are so young you have time before you really need to worry about a formal curriculum. You do not need to start reporting until the kids are six(turn six before Dec 1). I belong to a LEAH chapter too. This is a Christian Homeschool organization in NY. I know some Catholics who have joined but you need to be a little thick skinned incase you meet one of those "Catholics are not Christians" members (I have only ever met one or two of those misinformed folks but they are out there). In May/June Leah holds a convention (well two, one in LI and one in Rochester. You do not need to be a LEAH member to go (I think it cost $10 more if you are not a LEAH member). If you can go to one of those conventions next year I really recommend it. There are tons of vendors(mainly religious based but not all religious based) and great speakers. I get so much information at the convention. I would also say keep an eye open for used curriculum sales. They are a great way to save money and check out the curriculum. Also look into a local support group. We have a meeting once a year where we all share curriculum recomendations.

Don't worry, take your time, you will find what works for you.
Mamaof2
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maureen! I checked out the LEAH website but it just doesn't seem like it's for us. I'm thinking we are going to stay clear of anything religious based since, even though I am thick skinned, I have a quick mouth that might fire off at someone. Embarassed Laughing
sunclock
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site too. I used it for my kids. It is free but you have to sign up. I have never received any spam from them.

www.learningpage.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: