Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Know any umbrella schools for NY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barritone
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Know any umbrella schools for NY? Reply with quote

I had my kids registered with an umbrella school in Florida. Now I'm in NY, and would like to find one that would cover me here. Does anyone know of any? I just want one that charges a fee and covers me letting me use my own curriculum.
wrightno
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: What umbrella school were you registered with in Florida? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was just wondering what umbrella school you were with in Florida!
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY does not require an umbrella school to homeschool. All you need to do is send in your letter of intent, ihip and then quarterly reports (which do not need to be that detailed).
barritone
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Florida I used Crossroads christian. I know NY doesn't require one. I want to use one so I don't have to send all that paperwork.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a site that list some programs that can be used like that. http://homeschoolnyc.com/homeschooling-ten-steps/correspondence.html

I am not sure how good any of them are. Everyone I know sends in their own paperwork. It usually only takes me 5 minutes to fill out the quarterly (the IHIP is even quicker) and then dh just faxes it over to the district. I think we can email it too but we have gotten in the habit of faxing it. I know the idea of the paperwork can sound time consuming and a pain but it really isn't (ok maybe a little of a pain but not bad). You do not even need to keep a portfolio of work if you do not want to.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
kerry1968
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY state doesn't allow for them instead of their supervision. I tried it and was told that I could add it to my program but still need to be accountable to them.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are registered with Florida Unschoolers. We do a mix of methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: