Teen returning to homeschooling.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Katis
User

Teen returning to homeschooling.

Postby Katis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi.

I was homeschooled until 6th grade, when I did a year of public schooling, then a year of online, then back to public school until my sophmore year. I'm now 16, and "dropped out" of public school before my junior year, in favor of going back to homeschooling.

I'm having some issues getting back into it. My parents are supportive but rather unhelpful.

So, parents of teens, what curriculum do you like? I'm mostly concerned about Math and writing. There's a lot of conflicting resources online. What problems have you run into that I should be aware of? Got any tips for collage prep if I should choose to go?

Teens, same questions. Also, how do you stay on-task? Any suggestions on balancing school stuff/social stuff/a job if you have one? Got any good forums with younger people? Do you have plans for collage? Is your learning managed by your parents, or you? Is it better to be friends with schooled or unschooled friends, and how do you find other homeschoolers your age?

This forum seems dead, but might as well try! Any advice would be great.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Teen returning to homeschooling.

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Katis wrote:Hi.

I was homeschooled until 6th grade, when I did a year of public schooling, then a year of online, then back to public school until my sophmore year. I'm now 16, and "dropped out" of public school before my junior year, in favor of going back to homeschooling.

I'm having some issues getting back into it. My parents are supportive but rather unhelpful.

So, parents of teens, what curriculum do you like? I'm mostly concerned about Math and writing. There's a lot of conflicting resources online. What problems have you run into that I should be aware of? Got any tips for collage prep if I should choose to go?

Teens, same questions. Also, how do you stay on-task? Any suggestions on balancing school stuff/social stuff/a job if you have one? Got any good forums with younger people? Do you have plans for collage? Is your learning managed by your parents, or you? Is it better to be friends with schooled or unschooled friends, and how do you find other homeschoolers your age?

This forum seems dead, but might as well try! Any advice would be great.

Just so you know, if you are homeschooling again, you did not drop out. It is important for you to understand that in your deepest being.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”