Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great book to recommend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Great book to recommend Reply with quote

Have any of you ever read "An Underground History of American Education"? I'm pretty certain I have the title correct, but can't for the life of me remember the author's name. He was a New York City public school teacher, and was voted Teacher of the Year twice. It's incredible-it gives you an understanding of WHY public education began in this country. It wasn't altruism. It happened because the WASPs were terrified that a lot of Catholic immigrants were coming to this country, and wanted a way to separate the children from their families, language and religion.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that was John Taylor Gatto. We heard him speak at a homeschool conference a few years back and were very impressed by him. He seems very down to earth, and extrememly intelligent. (You don't find that combination, often!)
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Great book to recommend Reply with quote

Yes, it's quite an impressive tome. I've read it a couple times myself, and we like it so much that it's one of the few homeschooling books that we actually offer in our catalog.

You may also be interested in the book Is Public Education Necessary? by Sam Blumenfeld (I've included an Amazon link so you can read some reviews), and his article "The History of Public Education".
sevenkidsisgreat
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read Gatto's book online at

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm

I consider his books a must read for anyone in the home education movement. Totally AWESOME!

Cheryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: