Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservativemama
User

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool Reply with quote

I am extremely new to this. I am just getting started on researching homeschooling. My daughter will be starting 3rd Grade next year, and my son is starting Kindergarten. There have been no problems with our school - I am thinking about the future. I am deeply concerned that pulling my daughter out of school will be traumatic for her. She is doing great, but at times has stated she would love to be homeschooled. (I have a friend who homeschools and does a SPECTACULAR job.) Does anyone out there have any advice on pulling a child out of public school to homeschool or do you know of any websites that might help me with this decision?
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my state, homeschools are considered private schools. I sent a letter to the PS, requesting a copy of my sons' school records and stating that they would not be returning as they would be enrolled in private school. They did not inquire further and I did not offer up any greater detail.

What you do will depend upon the laws in your state.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am not sure what state you are in but you can check out your state's laws on the HSLDA site http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Personally I do not think pulling a child out of ps to homeschool is necessarily traumatic, and adjustment yes but not traumatic. Kids are resillent and just need to get used to the new routine. If she is saying she is interested I think the transition will be even easier. We pulled sd out mid 9th grade and then next year dd will be homeschooled too (this year she went to ps k) Dd wants to go to ps (because 1st graders eat in the cafeteria, and her friends will be going) but she also knows that we will be able to do more fun things than the kids in school. We will be part of a homeschool group and go on lots of field trips. Once she gets into the routine she will love it I am sure.

Do you have any particular questions about homeschooling (ask anything someone will have an answer for you)? I am not sure what type of website you are interested in. There are various discussion boards out there (including this one). Is there a local homeschool group you can get in touch with or maybe a local convention where you could go and get some information.

Hope some of this helped. Smile
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling kids out of public school to homeschool Reply with quote

Conservativemama wrote:
I am deeply concerned that pulling my daughter out of school will be traumatic for her.

I've homeschooled my children from the very beginning, but friends I have that have pulled their children out of ps to homeschool advise other beginners doing this to have a period of "de-schooling". This period of time is something like one month for every year of public school the child attended.

The way I understand it is, homeschooling and ps are so very different, that the "de-schooling" period helps the child to adjust and get out of ps mentality. Unfortunately I cannot say anymore, having no experience in this area. I'm sure there are plenty of parents here that can fill you in with further information about "de-schooling", the reasons for it, and the benefits of it.

Good luck to you.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
marf1273
User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will have to have a heart to heart talk with your daughter if she really wants to be homeschooled. The fact that she’s doing okay in regular school might give her a difficult adjustment period once she starts homeschooling. Find out what makes her say she wants home school and explain the difference between the two.

Last edited by marf1273 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will be as big a deal as you seem to think it will. Smile

You start talking to your dd now, telling her that after much prayer and thought, you believe that the best thing for her will be to homeschool next year. Don't try to build up the experience too much; just be matter of fact.

Your dd is just little. It isn't as if she's going to be a senior in high school. There might be some angst when her friends go off to school in the fall, but she'll be fine.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Jill
User

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Conservativemama,

I pulled my children out mid year when they were in 2nd grade and kindergarten...so we didn't even have that summer "adjustment" period.

I have written all the details of our experience in my website. It's pretty buried, so here's the direct link: http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/how_to_homeschool_transition.html

Now we can't believe we didn't start sooner!
Best wishes.
kjsmom72803
User

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled my DS ou of school about a month ago. He is not yet six so I did not have to do anything other than notify the school that I would be homeschooling him.

As for the transition... My son could not be happier! He liked being in school with his friends but did not like the actual "school" part of being there. As long as you make efforts to see some of her cose friends in the class I am sure there will be an easy transition.

My son is now doing 1st grad school work, he is only 5! He was bored out of his mind in class at the school which was why he hated the actual class work. Hope this helps you! I am sure that if ou make the decision to homeschool that he will love it! Noone can teach your child as well as you!
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stress too much - just relax into it and take it one day at a time. There may be a bit of a transition period as you both get used to a new routine, but you also get a chance to bond more as a family and what greater gift is there?!
homeschoolnewbie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to agree with Ophelia, I transitioned my children from private school to homeschooling and though I had not planned a time of "de-schooling". It just happened. They needed a break; a change of scenery and approach that was nothing like "school". I go into a LOT of detail on my blog in the earlier postings. I would also suggest that you read Home Grown Kids and The Homeschool Handbook both by Raymond and Dorthy Moore and check out homeschooloasis.com by Barbara Shelton. They both offer wonderful ways to transition to homeschooling "gently".
Blessings on your transition!
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many homeschooling families maintain useful blogs. So impressive!
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my state once you notify the state and name your school you are seen as a private school so it was no big deal when I pulled mine. I pulled them after they finished 4th and kdg and they didn't have any say in the matter. It was a decision that my husband and I made together and we did what we felt was best after looking into how bad the schools really were. My kids didn't have a transitional period of any sort! In fact, they were ready to go back to PS, and had no idea we were even entertaining the idea of homeschooling. I pulled them out the week school was supposed to start. They did fine and are still doing fine. I had a little resistance at first but that was not because they had a problem with what I had done but instead because they thought that they could get away with stuff since mom was their teacher. They soon found this assumption to be wrong.

My oldest is in high school now and is doing great! He has lots of friends, gets awesome grades, has a girlfriend (who is in PS and totally jealous of my sons "easy" school schedule...if she only knew), goes to activities that are PS sponsored with his friends, takes music lessons, does summer activities, talks back, thinks he knows everything, and fights with his little sister and brother like every other kid in the world. He is a typical teenager.

My personal opinion is that the only way pulling a child out of school would be traumatic is if the parents make it that way. This can be because the parents weren't mentally ready for the change or I have seen people who just stress to much about making their homeschool JUST LIKE the public schools or what curriculum to use. Your kids pick up on this stuff.

Just kick back and have fun with it. You can still give your kids an awesome, well rounded education with out using the PS model or even finishing every book for that grade. Education is so much more than sitting and reading something that somebody else decided was what your child needed to know that year.

Again my opinion...as long as my kids do well in math, can read, write well, speak intelligently, and carry on a conversation I am happy. If they don't know the names of the bones of the body or names of the different types of leaves or the exact date that Lewis and Clark set out on their journeys that is OK because all of that is just fluff. General knowledge is important but I refuse to stress out over it and we strive to complete our curriculum but if we don't...oh well.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: