starting homeschooling/ troubles at his school

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kjsmom72803
User

starting homeschooling/ troubles at his school

Postby kjsmom72803 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 am

My son is a few weeks short of graduating from 5K. He has been having troubles with a bully in his class and 1st grade class. He is now to the point that he cries every morning and complains of tummy aches.

The teacher also wants to hold him back because she says he is not ready for 1st grade. I work with him at home already and have him using 1st grade workbooks. I had him tested for the unified distrect (he is in private now) and he tested at a above average for his age level.

Any advice on how to legally pull him out since my paperwork has not been recieved or approved by the state yet? I am in WI and there is only 2 weeks left of school!

I am attempting to get the rest of this school years work/ tests from the school and complete them at home but have not heard back from the school- I called 2 days ago!

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Fri May 08, 2009 1:45 pm

First I am going to suggest joining HSLDA, just in case you have problems with the district. The compulsory age in WI starts at 6. Since he is not in the compulsory age range I would think you could just notify the school but I could be wrong. If you join HSLDA their lawyers would be able to help you. If you are planning on homeschooling I would not even worry about what the school is doing for work. You could just use the workbooks you have, the internet and the library to finish off the year. Once you have a curriculum you like for next year you can start fresh with that.

Hope it all works out for you.

elliemaejune
User

Re: starting homeschooling/ troubles at his school

Postby elliemaejune » Fri May 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sun May 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Since the compulsory school age isn't until six I would just take him out and not worry about whether or not he finishes K5. I also would not do anymore school this year, let him decompress and then start back up next year. But this is just what I would do. You need to do what is going to be best for your son. If he is going to school everyday with lead shoes on and it is making him have stomach aches I would ask myself "is it really worth it" he is only in K5, it isn't like he is in 8 grade.

If it is the graduation thing they do that you are concerned about him missing then maybe you could get family and friends together to celebrate and print a certificate off the internet to give him and the dollar store has reward ribbons that you could get for him.

Again just my thoughts.

Return to “Homeschool Law”