kids in history

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ymaddox
User

kids in history

Postby ymaddox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:33 pm

I found these books and found them very interesting but they seem a bit to young for my soon to be 8th grader even though they are under the 7th/8th grade homeschooling section. Does anyone know of anything similar, a history book that tells a story rather than just a bunch of mundane information thrown on a page. There are a few books by this author like civil war, victorian times, world war 11 etc... And if you done the series of this book would this be something you would use for your history credit for your child or just a in addition to kind of thing? Do you also agree this is a bit young for 8th grade history. thanks

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:40 pm

I really like the My America/Dear America/Royal Diaries series for slightly older kids. They're somewhat short (about the size of a Hardy Boys book) but written from a first person perspective they offer a valuable insight to the daily life.

I've used books similar to this with my 8yo, and yes - I do feel they're young for a 12-13yo. But I think as an addition, they're fine.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Joyce TN
User

Postby Joyce TN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:41 am

Peace, <><
Joyce

GreyDark
User

Postby GreyDark » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 am

By means of rapid4me.com, I accidentally came across a couple of historic book on quite an interesting topic. They are, perhaps, for parents rather than for children, but they are surely worth attention. One of the books I remember is "Historyof the past in the view of today"

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 am

GreyDark: Can you give a more specific link?

I've personally always been partial to the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, that's the sort of thing you're probably looking for.

Return to “History”