Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ash_mel
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Resources Reply with quote

I have a soon to be one year old (July 2nd). I have been wanting to homeschool her when she was older, well before I was even pregnant. I didn't realize until a friend, that wants to homeschool, said she believes homeschooling starts at birth. Well I feel late now -

But my question is -- does anyone know of any good resources, rather it be magazines, or books, that can keep me on track with homeschooling? And teach me all I need to know to be sure I do this right and start out on the right foot. We play with blocks now and I try to make sure I explain things we do, what the dog does, etc etc. I'm a very adament breastfeeder, and I went into that gun-ho know it all and ended up in a lot of pain and in surgery when she was 2 weeks old - I don't want to go into this thinking I know everything and get all messed up again, lol. So *help* Smile

I also had another question - I had a speech problem for many years, I don't feel it's completely cleared up. So is homeschooling really a good idea for me anyway? I hate that she has to learn how to talk from me...but I'm a stay home mom anyway and dad is about to deploy to Iraq for 15 months, so I'm all she's going to have regardless.

Thank you!!
~Ashley
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to relax and enjoy your daughter. At 1 yo, a formal curriculum would be over-the-top in my opinion. Allow her to continue learning through play and read to her daily. Use this time to gain an understanding of her learning style. I agree with your friend that HS begins at birth...but too much too soon will only serve to cause burn-out.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most I would think about with your daughter's age are two books:
Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready
and
Teach Me To Do It Myself!

The first focuses on development and developmental activities to do with your child, the second on teaching in a Montessori way - simple activities where the child can be self starting and independently working.

Honestly, though, the most important thing you could do for your child at this point, no matter what schooling you choose later, is to learn as much as you can about her development, what to expect, and forming your goals to meet that. I see so many parents expect too much out of a 2yo - perfect obedience, listening when told the first time, understanding time..- by becoming more in tune with who your daughter is now and her limitations/abilities, you'll be better prepared when you are ready to start formally schooling than if you started with an academic curriculum right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: