Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accelerated Reading for Homeschoolers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlk123
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Accelerated Reading for Homeschoolers Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any accelerated reading programs for homeschoolers? (Including comprehension tests for various books that the children read?)

Thank you
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grade level are you looking at? Do you need to teach your child to read or just build comprehension skills?

The A Beka readers for grades 1 and up contain comprehension questions. They also have a Read and Think program for grades 3 and up that is made up of weekly timed comprehension drills.
jlk123
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is now in public school and loves the AR program there. I just wanted to provide something similar for when we homeschool to keep her interest up in reading.
I have actually found a pretty similar program sponsored by Sylvan (I found it by searching the web after posting this). It is at www.bookadventure.com. We have already started her doing it on books that she reads at home and she loves it. She earns points for each test that she takes and can redeem it for prizes on the website. I was very happy to find it.
judyh
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Using homeschool early learning series and phonics program Reply with quote

We recently got the TimeLife encyclopedia early learning series for my 4 year old and 2 year old. The reading series is very helpful even though its not really an accelerated reading program (i think).The kids are attracted to the bright colors and and beginning to identify words using phonics, which we taught her using the LetterLand and Zoophonics program.
I think a mixture of programs probably yield good results in our case.

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
HSHS
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will be any help but thought I'd post anyway:

http://www.mindsprinting.com

It's a reading excellence program K-3 and reading comprehension 3-12. My 9th grader just tested out of the program so I can't tell you how good it is but DD's enjoying the math program from there. (:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: