starting a new kind of homeschool

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tpmaddox
User

starting a new kind of homeschool

Postby tpmaddox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:45 pm

I run a homeschool covering through my church. We have operated as a covering for 3 years now, also offering fun days with 4 classes and 2 high-school electives. Next year, we want to expand to a 4-day a week school. The middle school and high school students will use Alpha Omega SOS curriculum that will be loaded into the schools computers. I am limiting the number of students to 20. My questions are: Will we still be covered under the umbrella "homeschool", and has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I am looking for any and all information I can get at this point. I am definitely over my head and swimming in the graces of God.
Thank you so much,
Tamara Maddox

Jennywrites
User

Postby Jennywrites » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

I can tell you what we have here. I do think some will depend on your state laws concerning what is and isn't homeschooling. Here in Spokane we have Bryant School, which is a public school that offers classes taught by licensed teachers as well as parents and members of the community. They offer many classes from grade k-12. Parents who choose to allow there children to attend a class (or several) at Bryant do not lose their homeschool status and can pull their children from classes at any time. Here is the schools website if you would like to see what their model is like:
http://www.tecspokane.com/

tpmaddox
User

thank you

Postby tpmaddox » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Thank you so much for that. I think it is WONDERFUL that you have schools that see the importance of working together instead of fighting over the children. I have since gotten more of the information I was looking for; but I am always interested in learning more, and hearing what else is out there that works!

elliemaejune
User

Re: starting a new kind of homeschool

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:52 pm

tpmaddox wrote:I run a homeschool covering through my church. We have operated as a covering for 3 years now, also offering fun days with 4 classes and 2 high-school electives. Next year, we want to expand to a 4-day a week school. The middle school and high school students will use Alpha Omega SOS curriculum that will be loaded into the schools computers. I am limiting the number of students to 20. My questions are: Will we still be covered under the umbrella "homeschool", and has anyone ever encountered anything like this? I am looking for any and all information I can get at this point. I am definitely over my head and swimming in the graces of God.
Thank you so much,
Tamara Maddox

So, you will have students there 4 days a week? All subjects? With you as the teacher/facilitator? That doesn't sound anything like homeschooling to me. It doesn't sound *bad;* it just doesn't sound like homeschooling.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”