Care Packages?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Miss_Kristy
User

Care Packages?

Postby Miss_Kristy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm

HI everyone,

My kids and I were watching Reading Rainbow today and were inspired. The theme of the show was "care packages" or something close to that. Anyway it showed several different classes in different places that had decided to send care packages to deserving children around the world.

So I was wondering. Do any of you know of any organizations that accept care packages? I'd really like the names of places that you personally have sent things to. I'm going to be doing a general search later on the internet, but I just wanted your input.

Thanks in advance.

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:37 am

We have done Operation Christmas Child
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC but that collection time is usually around Thanksgiving.
We have also sent care packages to military personnel serving in Iraq/Afghanistan. Ask around and you can usually find someone who knows someone and can get you an address. Churches/local service organizations sometimes keep lists of those serving with their addresses.
If you use a flat rate box available free from the post office, it helps keep the shipping cost down. Make sure you are getting the international one if you ship overseas.
You can also send care packages to the children of those serving if you are interested in sending the packages directly to children. Our 4H group does that. Again check around with friends, churches and service organizations. Since the boxes are going to children, you may have to send the box through the church or service organization - they may not give you the direct address for a child.
Service is such a great thing!
Have fun!
Best wishes!
Jill

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 am

that is a neat idea.. aside from being able to help kids who have not been as fortunate as 'our' kids, it also is a way to teach 'our' kids the value of giving...

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:54 am

We stay domestic and only send packages to our troops.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”