Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling laws in NY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janineb781
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling laws in NY? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever dealt with homeschooling laws in NY. I live in a rural part of NY. Any help getting started would be appreciated. My son will start kindergarten. Help?
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I am from WNY. The laws are really not that difficult and k can be pretty easy. Are you planning on starting this fall? If so will your son be 6 by Dec 1st? If yes then you need to send a letter of intent (just saying I am going to homeschool) to the Superintendent of your district by July 1st. You will also need to turn in quarterly reports for him but since there is no formal curriculum for k you just need a paragraph about what you have done. If your son is not 6 by Dec 1st you do not need to report this year.

Here is a link to a good packet by our district. It answers alot of the questions http://www.rhnet.org/files/479/Manual.pdf06-07.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Maureen
twistedmaples
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: great NY homeschool law link Reply with quote

I just started homeschooling this past fall - my girls are older, 11 & 13. I found this link that has the entire NY state law spelled out.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf

You will need to file IHIPs (not a big deal, just Google "NY IHIP" example if you want to see some) every year. (Remember: YOU get to set the dates that you will submit quarterly reports) When I started, a friend sent me a couple old copies of her kids' reports. I just used her format to start and copied over with my kids' names. It helped a lot. Let me know if you need something to use as a template.

Good luck!
Beth L
Indian Lake
CG83
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I will be homeschooling my two kids this coming school year and I was wondering if you still had that template for the quarterly reports I will have to send in. If you did could you send it my way it would help me out a lot. Thanks

Crissy
NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: